• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting When to add lights?

Hello All,

I would like to start off by saying this is NOT a grow tech question... Ive been kindly reminded where to place my posts in the past.

That being said I have my seedlings starting in a normal seedling tray with heat mat and humidity dome, they are starting to sprout and I do not want them to get leggy so I went out and got 2 fixtures ( 2 bulbs each) t8 cool white 4100k 32W (hope these are the right bulbs).

About a quarter of my seedlings have popped so far so I was curious how soon i should switch from the humidity dome  and add the lights?

Should I let all the seedlings sprout first and then add the lights or add them now and let the rest of the sprouts come without the dome ?

Thanks!

Steve

P.S. if these are the wrong lights please advise before I open them :)

I don't want to start a whole new thread... I briefly looked into the forums and couldn't find a definitive answer regarding when to start bottom watering?

Should I start to bottom water as soon as the sprout? 1st set of leaves second set?

thanks!!

-steve

From what I have read here on THP, as soon as the seedlings emerge, they need light.
Also, most seem to recommend the 6500K light for seedlings.

Light 'em up and get ready to lose the dome SOON, or run the risk of damping-off.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice!

I assume by no red flags being raised the lights I chose will do for me?

Also I pulled the dome and added a fan form walmart so i think im set on dampening off.

-Steve 

I have mine setup the same way (heat pad, humidity dome), but I've had my lights on them since they were started. My first one is just starting to hook, so after a while, i'll open the vents on the dome, and slide it off angle from the tray so cut down on surface humidity. Then I'll just remove it completely and bottom water, while keeping the surface of the soil dry.

Back