• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds When to move seedling under metal halide ?

Hey all,

When is the generally accepted time to move seedling under a 400w metal halide ? Can be turned down to 250. I am curious because I am running out of room under my t8's, but all of my seedlings are fairly new. I could get the light about 4.5 feet above the plants ?

-- Mega

You could have a 1000W for seedlings and if it is far away not to burn them you will be fine. You are better off using HID right when they pop out of the soil, it makes them grow short and strong. If your canopy mesures 80F and below you should be fine.

cant you move your t8 lights up a little to create more room? If not I guess you could use the MH on the 250W setting. If you use 400W it will fry the seedlings leaves and stunt their growth. If you use the MH make sure you dont have them too close as well. It puts out a lot of heat, so keep a close eye on them

Well due to a faulty fixture my total light out put dropped 20 percent. I now have 30 plants in solo cups under 4 18 inch T8s. I have about 20 bhuts, Butch Ts, and chocolate habs on the heat mats waiting to sprout. I really don't want to spend cash out on another fixture if i can get by with just firing up the new HID.

i'll give it a whirl under close opps; if it is getting to hot i'll return to the T8s and figure something out... Thanks for your imput Megahot.. What part of WA ?

Well due to a faulty fixture my total light out put dropped 20 percent. I now have 30 plants in solo cups under 4 18 inch T8s. I have about 20 bhuts, Butch Ts, and chocolate habs on the heat mats waiting to sprout. I really don't want to spend cash out on another fixture if i can get by with just firing up the new HID.

i'll give it a whirl under close opps; if it is getting to hot i'll return to the T8s and figure something out... Thanks for your imput Megahot.. What part of WA ?

You're welcome! I live in Kent, I lived in Spokane Valley until I was 21

"If you use 400W it will fry the seedlings leaves and stunt their growth."

If it is too close it will.

You can use metal halide. Metal Halide is the BEST light to start seeds and go all the way through the plants whole life. Fluorescents are not as economical as HID litghts, as in they do not produce the same lumens per watt. In fact the HPS is the highest producer of Lumens per Watt over the Metal Halide but the blue light of the halid is harder to achieve.

Metal halids are the best choice over anything.

Just remember that some growers do not have any fluorescents at all. Only metal halide and HPS. I grew peppers start to finish with a 400 watt hps and a blue spectrum bulb. The seedlings looked so healthy it was unreal. I never seen such thick seedlings, not like the ones you see grown under fluorescents.

So I am not sure how you could burn plants no matter what size with the correct light level and cooling.

Back