• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When to start in Ontario

I'm going to try my hand at starting my seeds indoors this year in hopes to have a head start on things when the weather is nice enough to plant outdoors. I just want to get an idea of when people in Southern Ontario like to start their seeds. I realize I could probably start them anytime but I dont want the plants to out grow the 3'-4' floros I plan on using for light. I have a variety of super hot seeds on the way in the mail. Thanks!

I start my C. chinense(and C. pubescent) seeds in January and the rest in Late February but I have a greenhouse to use in the spring and lots of natural and supplemental light in my house late winter. Many Northern growers use some sort of cold-frame to extend their season and they can be quite easy to build.

I started my super hots at the end of December and will be starting my other Chinense varieties over the next week. I'll be doing my annums mid-Feb.

I'll be up-potting once to 3.5inch plastic cups and from there straight into the ground.

Thanks POTAWIE. A cold frame looks like the way to go. After looking at a few of them on line I can see a great advantage in have plants grown in pots to be moved into a cold frame near the end of the season.

I am moving into a new home at the end of Feb. So I was thinking of waiting until then to start. Hopefully thats not too late. I could have a cold frame constructed by years end or maybe a small green house. This is my first season so I'm expecting to learn quite a lot as I go!

You should be alright for most plants but some of the super-hot chinenses and stubborn varieties like tepin or pequin may need a bit of an earlier start

i agree with Potawie. But that's pushing it. I started March last year and it wasn't enough. Mind you, we didn't exactly have the best summer either which was a major factor. If possible try to get the chinenses up and running early Feb. better safe than sorry.

I am only moving across town so it will be a minor pain in the ass to move everything but probably worth the extra grow time.

I have Fatalii, T. Scorpion, Red Savina Hab., Choc. Hab., Bhut Jolokia, Yellow Scorpion, Tobasco, Choc. 7-pot, and 7 pot seeds on the way.

Ya, I'm probably getting in a little over my head. But after growing my own Orange Habs and Jalapenos last year I'm hooked!

MikeyV said:
Ya, I'm probably getting in a little over my head. But after growing my own Orange Habs and Jalapenos last year I'm hooked!

It happened to all of us. keep us posted with your status and good luck! By the way, where abouts are you in Ontario?

I am about 30 min. East of Toronto. Ive been up your way to snowboard on more than a few occasions. Nice area!

I will definetely keep you posted with how things go. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions too.

Thanks for the help!

I too start my super hots in late Dec / early Jan. I've had some decent success that way. I started some seeds as late as Mar and they didn't do so well. They basically ran out of time for flowering.

Back