• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When to start w/ HID...

Hey guys and gals,
The past two seasons I have relied on limited window light to grow my plants until plant out. This season I have decided to up the ante. I recently purchased a 400 watt grow light and in the very near future will build a temporary grow box (I eventually plan to build something more permanent in my basement for around the year growing). But anyway, I was wondering when you growers with HID lights start your plants? Now obviously there are a lot of variables. The box will be approximately 3' wide by 5' long and I will be running the light for 16 hrs a day. I will have approximately 19 pepper plants and 5-6 tomato plants. I also plan on doing herbs and some lettuce but those will do fine with window light. Chineses before annuums, peppers earlier than tomatoes. Any other tips or advice? My plant out date will be May 15th. Worst case scenario I would have to give them all a haircut, but I am hoping to avoid that.

Some people start almost straight away with the hid. You will want it 3' - 4' above them when they first sprout and gradully move closer to them. To cover your area when the plants have matured you will probably need to keep it 2' above but this shouldn't be a problem as much closer and there could be scortching. What type of reflector do you have?

I think they recommend no more than 3'x3' area with a 400 but this is pot growers info to get the best results. If your after good growth which is better than cfl growth a 4x4 area will be fine - or 5x3 like yours.

Get some reflective sheeting - black/white plastic or diamond defused sheet. This will prevent you wasting light and should pay for itself after a copule of grows.

You also need a contractor (relay) for switching the lights so the timer doesn't get damaged. This is unless you are just switching them on and off each day.

A 400w light on for 16 hours a day will use 4.8kwh of electricity. I don't know what you pay for a kwh (10/12c?) but it will cost you almost 5 of these per 16h. Finally don't get your fingerprints on the bulb.

Best of luck, Chris

I'm not starting any C. Chinense until Valentines Day. Chris has given some good advise but the first for me is ventilation. Make sure you have a way to move the hot air away from your plants so you don't cook the seedlings, an exhaust fan is a must with a HID in a 3' x 5' grow box. I have found that MH works better for me than a HPS bulb when starting capsicum to plant outside. Glad to see several people make the investment in a HID this season.

I was going to mention I remember seeing Cappy starting off seedlings last year with Hid.

I think Tx used a bathroom extractor fan but you can get the inline ones too. Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/4-inch-INLINE-DUCT-FAN-exhaust-BOOSTER-vent-blower-cool_W0QQitemZ400085892208QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5d26fa3c70

It may be an idea to hang it from elasticated cords - the ones commonly used to hold ladders to roof racks with the hooks on either end. This should prevent too much vibration noise.

Then a piece of flexible ducting near the light (fan suspended in the centre) and the other end away from them somewhere. A small 6" clip on or desktop fan can be used to circulate the air around the plants.

I start my seedlings under a floro shop light under a dome first, then transplant to cups and sit them in a window for a week before setting them under the HID Josh. You might want to start some seeds now for practice to get all the parameters correct in your grow box before you risk your best seeds. I have an exhaust fan that does not blow on my plants but rather removes hot air from the top of my closet. Check out my thread PRF seed tray from last season and see how I deal with my seedlings under a HID Josh. There will be a learning curve moving from floro to HID lighting but once you figure it out you will never look back. My plants grow in 2 weeks under HID what takes a month or more under floro lighting, and your root ball will be more developed. Good luck with your new light Josh.

Thanks for the tips guys. As you can see from the time stamp it was 2:13am so I wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders. I guess here is a run down to fill you in on some of the questions. The hood is called Yield Master II. It has a glass lens and 6" air opening on both sides of the bulb. I plan to run a 6" duct to an inline duct fan exactly like the link shows above. The ones at home depot are not pre-wired so I will have to pick up a 3 prong plug etc. I have read about the 3X3 primary growing area as being optimal. I have been going back and forth on box size and decided to go a bit bigger so I have some room to fiddle around and fit an oscillating fan to move air. I have a 4'X50' roll of 2m mylar that I plan to line the interior with. The light and inline fan will be on the same timer. The oscillating fan will be on a separate timer and turn on and off periodically. I am hoping to find some type of flange so I can mount the inline fan to the wall. I will probably secure it with a bit of metal perforated strapping. Although I alluded to putting the grow box somewhere else above, I have decided it is going in my basement. There isn't exactly a ton of vertical space to play with but it will be best in every other way.

I actually have never used even floros before so this is a MAJOR upgrade. The past two seasons my plants have grown at a snails pace in front of a window. I think my main concerns will be frying the plants and drying out the soil. If the box becomes too hot I will have to add an exhaust fan plus vents. I am hoping that the enclosed bulb with the inline fan removing the heat will work out for me. Plus, the basement is on the cool side so that should help. I am definitely going to have to really keep my eye on things. I remember the first time I used my grow mat and it took me a little while to adjust to how the cells dried out.

Keep the tips coming guys I appreciate all the help.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
There will be a learning curve moving from floro to HID lighting but once you figure it out you will never look back.

Ive been liking lurking around threads like this as I pick up all kinds of stuff.
Ive got a 325w (equiv) CFL. Whats the main differences between CFL and HID?
Ive read piles on lighting (interesting stuff) but have already forgotten more than I know.

Im still pondering how to arrange my ventilation, thought about having the fan about 6 inches up and pushing air in, in the hope that this toughens up the stems with a bit of movement. I guess a small hole higher up will exhaust the hot air.

Josh,

I had crappy success getting pepper seedlings to grow last year - used the wrong tray. But the toms - I sowed them on Feb. 22 and they were too large by early April - and that was under 105 watt CFL bulbs. I don't plan to sow my maters until the middle of March this year.

What kind of bulb are you using, HPS or MH?

Mike

wordwiz said:
Josh,

I had crappy success getting pepper seedlings to grow last year - used the wrong tray. But the toms - I sowed them on Feb. 22 and they were too large by early April - and that was under 105 watt CFL bulbs. I don't plan to sow my maters until the middle of March this year.

What kind of bulb are you using, HPS or MH?

Mike

Middle of March for tomatoes was what I was thinking as well. I am hesitant with them though. I don't have much experience and being a vine they can get big quick.

The ballast is electronic and switchable, but I will be using a MH bulb for the time being. I will probably go from MH to HPS when I grow some plants inside next winter.

I have about a dozen mater seedlings under a 14-watt LED panel. Want to see how they do, as I don't really need them large enough to transplants for three weeks. Because I am trying to grow year-round, I tend to start seeds every couple of months. They started under a 150 watt HPS but that was too much light, so I put them under a CFL bulb. Just moved them yesterday as I'm already donating enough money to the energy company!

If you can get a light meter, it will be worth it. You can tell for sure if the plants are getting enough light.

Mike

I never start my tomatoes any earlier than 6 weeks from plants out. Once they get their first set of leaves they take off quick. I start them around March 1 for an April 15 plant out date. Usually get my first by 3rd week of June.

I use shop lights right now, but am looking at getting a HPS light to try out over the winter. If it works out, I will use them for seedlings next year as well. The extra heat will help in the unheated garage as well.

jacob

Back