When to start

I live in Portland Oregon and every year I buy starts with the idea of planting out the first week in June. This year I am starting from seed and growing MANY more varities roughly 35 counting the tomatoes, sweet peppers, non- superhots. Most of what I'm growing is going into pots and are superhots. I had planned to start mid Feb with the superhots thinking this gives me plenty of time to harden and the not so hots and toms maybe 8-10 weeks before. I don't have the room or lights to let anything get much beyond plant out size. I have been experimenting with planting some superhots early and have several going they are a little over 40 days old and look to me to be ready to go outside now. That's only 6 weeks! So here is my question(s). Is 12 weeks too early?? If I want my superhots ready to harden mid May when should I start. How about the not so hots and toms like Jalapeño, Cayenne, Serrano
I can see timing as a big challenge and welcome
your input but in light of the plants I have going now I'm rethinking my timing. Oh one more question how big should plants be upon planting out.

I'll throw in with my limited seed starting knowledge, but with fairly good plant out date knowledge. You're pretty dialed with your dates and obs, IMO. You've done some test runs, excellent. You have a target plant out date, excellent. You know you have space limitations.

Keep in mind so much depends on how La Nina plays out. You can't totally predict Spring weather, but June 1 seems a good bet from what I know about Portland. Last year knocked off about 4-6 weeks of normal early plant times for peppers and tomatoes over on this side of the mtns. Last June we (the Pacific NW) was still cold --Minnesota was getting 100F. Will it be the same this time?

Okay, I'll stick my neck out. I hedge my bets by staggering some starts earlier, but here's my general targets for latest starts.

C. Chinense: 12-14 weeks (takes longest to get ripe pods)
C. Annuum: 8-10 weeks
tomatoes: 6 weeks (easy, fast growers. Makes you feel like a genuis after growing peppers.)

Those time frames should give you viable transplants. Bigger plants are generally better, of course, but not it they come at the expense of getting stunted due to cold because they have no place to go, or because they didn't get a pot up that one extra time when needed. (Me)

If you can swing it, a structure similar to this one can really help extend you season and give you some additional space during May/June crunch time if needed:

plant el cheapo enclosure Go Beavers! and good luck.... :cool:

I'll throw in with my limited seed starting knowledge, but with fairly good plant out date knowledge. You're pretty dialed with your dates and obs, IMO. You've done some test runs, excellent. You have a target plant out date, excellent. You know you have space limitations.

Keep in mind so much depends on how La Nina plays out. You can't totally predict Spring weather, but June 1 seems a good bet from what I know about Portland. Last year knocked off about 4-6 weeks of normal early plant times for peppers and tomatoes over on this side of the mtns. Last June we (the Pacific NW) was still cold --Minnesota was getting 100F. Will it be the same this time?

Okay, I'll stick my neck out. I hedge my bets by staggering some starts earlier, but here's my general targets for latest starts.

C. Chinense: 12-14 weeks (takes longest to get ripe pods)
C. Annuum: 8-10 weeks
tomatoes: 6 weeks (easy, fast growers. Makes you feel like a genuis after growing peppers.)

Those time frames should give you viable transplants. Bigger plants are generally better, of course, but not it they come at the expense of getting stunted due to cold because they have no place to go, or because they didn't get a pot up that one extra time when needed. (Me)

If you can swing it, a structure similar to this one can really help extend you season and give you some additional space during May/June crunch time if needed:

plant el cheapo enclosure Go Beavers! and good luck.... :cool:

Lol that's funny about toms making you a genius after peppers. I've got 2 Infinitys and 1 Butch T and 2 Hab's ready to transplant outside now IMO after only 40 + days . How long can plants stay under T5's and be properly lighted? I was thinking about going 10 wks on the hots and 7 on all else? But did not consider the time for pods to ripen humm. How about sweet peppers like Carmen and mild hots like Jalapeños ?

You know, it is tough to call for someone else's grow. You apparently have some T5 lighting and grow area that is dialed for great plant production. Those original plants could probably stay under there till June no problem--till you run out of space. But then where to put the new starts? Everybody gets to juggle these types of issues, especially in the colder NW.

The others you mentioned (c. Annuum) like Jalapeno, serrano, sweet bells, carmen, poblano, cayenne, hungarian wax, anaheim, etc etc can "probably" grow a good transplant in 7 or 8 weeks. Maybe 6 weeks with your T5s since you are on your game.

The reason I mention the weather, and consider having an outdoor structure, it can really affect your grow plans. But like I said, it is tough to call for someone else. You become the master of your own time, space and dimension. Plus heat, light, moisture and "dirt." So far you've done pretty well.... :cool:

You know, it is tough to call for someone else's grow. You apparently have some T5 lighting and grow area that is dialed for great plant production. Those original plants could probably stay under there till June no problem--till you run out of space. But then where to put the new starts? Everybody gets to juggle these types of issues, especially in the colder NW.

The others you mentioned (c. Annuum) like Jalapeno, serrano, sweet bells, carmen, poblano, cayenne, hungarian wax, anaheim, etc etc can "probably" grow a good transplant in 7 or 8 weeks. Maybe 6 weeks with your T5s since you are on your game.

The reason I mention the weather, and consider having an outdoor structure, it can really affect your grow plans. But like I said, it is tough to call for someone else. You become the master of your own time, space and dimension. Plus heat, light, moisture and "dirt." So far you've done pretty well.... :cool:

Ahh finally I'm the MASTER of Something ! And it only took 50 years lol. How do I use the emotion cons ?

Back