• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When to transplant?

Hi all-

I've got a few sprouts in Jiffy mini greenhouse cells. About five of them are 2" tall, but no true leaves yet, just their cotyledons. When should I put them into small pots/cups?

Thanks in advance.

I normally do that as soon as they sprout - they stay in the mini greenhouse cell until they break soil and then go straight to a cup\pot so that the rest of the seeds still have the cover to keep moisture in but they can get into some sun in order to keep them from getting leggy stretching for the light or rotting due to the high humidity when covered.

I normally do that as soon as they sprout - they stay in the mini greenhouse cell until they break soil and then go straight to a cup\pot so that the rest of the seeds still have the cover to keep moisture in but they can get into some sun in order to keep them from getting leggy stretching for the light or rotting due to the high humidity when covered.

Makes sense. Thanks!

I did a comparison this yr and the one I transplanted (before I should have) was the biggest at the time. So, I transplanted the biggest one and left the others alone and transplanted them later. Well, the plants I transplanted later ended up growing much faster and quickly passed up the one I transplanted first! So, my suggestion is to wait until they have a few sets of leaves first, They seem to like establishing their roots first a little before first transplant. Shortly after you do the first transplant you can begin lightly feeding them. Side note: When I transplanted the biggest plant it only had cotyledons too, The others I waited till they had a few sets of leaves.

I too wait until there's another set of leaves and better roots, thicker stem... so if I am accidentally rough during transplanting, they are more durable to survive it.

I did a comparison this yr and the one I transplanted (before I should have) was the biggest at the time. So, I transplanted the biggest one and left the others alone and transplanted them later. Well, the plants I transplanted later ended up growing much faster and quickly passed up the one I transplanted first! So, my suggestion is to wait until they have a few sets of leaves first, They seem to like establishing their roots first a little before first transplant. Shortly after you do the first transplant you can begin lightly feeding them. Side note: When I transplanted the biggest plant it only had cotyledons too, The others I waited till they had a few sets of leaves.

Good point -- I normally use the pellets so transplanting immediately is safer since I'm just removing the mesh from around the pellet and placing the entire pellet into the new pot to avoid doing any damage to the tiny root hairs that might slow growth when they are really young but can see where waiting for a bit to get more established root system if using cells could be good also - but then do you remove the top of the greenhouse so the seedlings do not develop problems due to the humidity which may hurt the chances of others germinating or take the chance of losing the seedlings by leaving them inside the chamber ?

Good point -- I normally use the pellets so transplanting immediately is safer since I'm just removing the mesh from around the pellet and placing the entire pellet into the new pot to avoid doing any damage to the tiny root hairs that might slow growth when they are really young but can see where waiting for a bit to get more established root system if using cells could be good also - but then do you remove the top of the greenhouse so the seedlings do not develop problems due to the humidity which may hurt the chances of others germinating or take the chance of losing the seedlings by leaving them inside the chamber ?

As soon as they hooked I removed the seedlings from the cell tray to the grow box then put a light over them with reflective cover on top , . I also had my seedlings in jiffy pellets. By the time I transplanted them the roots were still small enough that they weren't coming out of the pellets.

Thanks for all the replies. Here's one thing: I did not use the peat cartridges, as I'd heard pepper plants don't like them. Apparently that source was wrong.

Anyway, each cell is filled with Jiffy organic starter mix, so there's not a lot of soil there. They won't get root-bound waiting for a few sets of true leaves?

Thanks for all the replies. Here's one thing: I did not use the peat cartridges, as I'd heard pepper plants don't like them. Apparently that source was wrong.

Anyway, each cell is filled with Jiffy organic starter mix, so there's not a lot of soil there. They won't get root-bound waiting for a few sets of true leaves?

No, they will not get root bound, If you let it grow to be 1/2 ft tall then it would get root bound

Sorry for the dumb question. Just goes to show I have a lot to learn about this.

To me there's no such thing as a dumb question, Only if you were to ask the same Q over and over again lol. I had 1,000's of q's when I first started out, you will learn in time. no worries. I still have things to learn as well. Even the guru's on this forum get stumped from time to time or learn something new :)

Its not a dumb question. He was actually being serious lol. Just because you're new don't get down when hes giving you some advice :D
To me there's no such thing as a dumb question, Only if you were to ask the same Q over and over again lol. I had 1,000's of q's when I first started out, you will learn in time. no worries. I still have things to learn as well. Even the guru's on this forum get stumped from time to time or learn something new :)

Its all good, guys. Didn't mean to come across as sensitive. Appreciate the advice!

Back