• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Where can I get a good light

Anyone one of a good grow light to use that would be ok on a college students budget?
standard 4ft Home depot or Lowes shop lights, either the T8 or T12 variety, $10 each, matching T8 or T12 bulbs for $6 a pair. You'll want two units side by side, 4 bulbs total, for good vegetative growth.

Is this to get seedlings off to a good start? or are you looking to grow plants to full fruit indoors? If you're looking for fruit then you may need more light, or a different solution altogether.

Here's where the high end stuff begins, these units are good entry level setups from a decent store: http://www.htgsupply.com/Category-HTGSupply-Grow-Light-Systems.asp I just can't remember if High pressure sodium, or Metal Halide are better for starting from seed, i'll let others here comment on that.

We have a grow-light sub-forum by the way: http://www.thehotpepper.com/forum/109-grow-tech/

Go with T5 or T8. I so wish I had and will next year. T12's just not kickin it.
Typical T8 48" run on 30 or 32 watts and will be 2600-2800 initial lumens for a daylight tube.
Typical T12 48" run on 34 or 40 watts and will be about 2700 lumens for the 34watt energy saver and 3200 lumens for the 40watt (daylight for both)

so if its lumens were after the t12 40w daylight bulbs should be better than the t8 version just uses a bit more juice that and there cheaper im usin 4 t12 40w daylights 3250 lumens each and they seem to be more than enough light for my 30 18 oz cups

42 watt CFLs work great in standard screw-in fixture...I have three 6 light bars in a 4' X 4' area producing right at 3K lumens per sq foot...that is overkill for growing until plantout...by the way...why aren't you just putting them outside?... all of my plants are outside now...

Typical T8 48" run on 30 or 32 watts and will be 2600-2800 initial lumens for a daylight tube.
Typical T12 48" run on 34 or 40 watts and will be about 2700 lumens for the 34watt energy saver and 3200 lumens for the 40watt (daylight for both)

so if its lumens were after the t12 40w daylight bulbs should be better than the t8 version just uses a bit more juice that and there cheaper im usin 4 t12 40w daylights 3250 lumens each and they seem to be more than enough light for my 30 18 oz cups
Yep, definitely prefer the 40w T12 tubes myself. Cooler to the touch, which means plant leaves won't wrinkle up if they touch em, and they have more lumens per bulb.

I still have a few T8 fixtures though, including a quad.

Edit: AlabamaJack is right, the original poster is in Texas, he can just plant his stuff outside in containers or whatever.

Lights confused the heck out of me at first. I thought you had to have these huge metal haldies or the bicarbonit sodium lights to grow plants indoors. :lol: You don't. You do if you're wanting to get pods indoors but for growing the plants to the size to get outdoors just about any florescent light will do. The only ones I've used are the 24" "grow" lights that you can get at Walmart for $10.

Back