• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Where the he*% did spring go?

midwestchilehead

Extreme Member
I don't know how to paste in those nice pictures of weather forecasts like some other members, but I'm just wondering what happened to spring. Here in NE KS, we had a few nice days in April, then cool and rainy until last weekend. Then it was 97, 94, 96 and supposed to be 95 tomorrow, then cool down. From the looks of things, everyone else is hot too. My plants have barely set roots, and the heat isn't doing them any good! I hope they survive.

Not sure what's going on with you guys, but our spring is lasting forever over here. Usually this time of June is Miserable already, but this year we've stayed below 100 so far for the most part. It's been incredible. 2 weeks ago it was actually "Chilly" out.
Hope it eases up on you a bit.

We don't have spring in Indiana, we only have 3 seasons, too f'ing cold, too much f'ing rain, and too f'ing hot.
Well, I see your climate one state west is not much different than mine. :P

Let me add, during the "too f'ing hot" time periods around here, it's also too f'ing humid. And not having central air or room air conditioners sucks ass. Even having a dehumidifier (which is all we've got) just doesn't cut it. And worse, I swear all of the local stores (including the big ones like Wal-Mart and Giant Eagle) are afraid to spend even a penny on electricity beyond their fluorescent lighting, cash registers, and refrigerators/freezers, so walking in one of those place does absolutely nothing... unless you hang out by the open refrigerators/freezers.

Really the "too much rain" part doesn't affect me much though. I couldn't care less how much rain I get; in fact, I have always been fascinated by strong thunderstorms, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc. The stronger the storm, the better. The problem is when the high winds and rains blow onto my porch and on my plants, which as a kid I would have never expected myself growing up and planting. Now that I do just that (grow hot peppers), and since I've seen first-hand just how bad bacterial spot can be... I actually dread any storms whose wind blow rain on the plants.

In Ontario we've had a thunderstorm every other day. The leaves on my plants are beginning to look a lot like Swiss-cheese. :(

We never have spring here in east Tennessee. Goes from highs in the 30's to lows in the 70's in a week nearly every year.

we had a pretty decent spring here although it was a dry one...and the heat has kicked in sooner than it usually does...it has been over 100 at my place for the past 8 days with no relief in sight....oh yeah, they said it was supposed to cool down to 97 in a couple of days...but I am usually 4-5 degrees warmer than DFW airport...

just keep the plants growing and happy and they will reward you...

In Ontario we've had a thunderstorm every other day. The leaves on my plants are beginning to look a lot like Swiss-cheese. :(

Not here in Potawie-land. They keep calling for rain but we keep missing it somehow and instead we get the heat. Its been too hot to even start planting the garden and that makes Potawie angry :)

Not here in Potawie-land. They keep calling for rain but we keep missing it somehow and instead we get the heat. Its been too hot to even start planting the garden and that makes Potawie angry :)

Maybe we can share our weather, so that you get some rain and I avoid crazy thunderstorms. Hopefully this will prevent my peppers from looking like the victims of a drive-by. :P

img7232v.jpg

Since we're on the topic of extreme heat, maybe one of you can answer a question, please? I'd be very grateful.

The past couple days here have been pretty brutal. I've moved my plants into the shade because my Caribbean Reds have dropped quite a few flowers. Is this OK? It's supposed to cool down soon and I'll move them back into the sun. What kind of temps cause flower drop and is it bad to move my plants into the shade when the sun is beating down on them in 94 degree heat?

Back