• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which is Worse???

I put all of my plants in 7 gallon pots about three weeks ago because the weather started looking up. Here in the New River Valley, the weather changes dramatically all the time, so being in pots is the way to go... we have had snow in may in SW VA before.

Anyway... I was faced with a situation today that I didn't really know what to do. It was cold outside (~50-54F all day) but sunny. Is it better to leave the plants inside near a patio door, or take them outside into the sun for about 6 hours but be cold? Which is worse... cold or poor light for a day?

Thanks!

Bing

I would say inside. Inside they will just not get enough light for the day, but outside if the go into shock and freeze it could be pretty bad.

IMO bringing them in and out is worse for them than staying in or out...if your forecast does not show any colder weather for the next week, I say let them stay outside...again this is JMO...

I say put them out for as much sun as you can, and then bring them in.

Remember, it doesnt matter if the outside temps are 50ish, if they are in the sun, they are going to be warmer than the air temperature.

I leave my plants outside when the temps are 40+ F and they are doing just fine.

But what say ye when the temps get into the forties? (Farenheit of course)...

Temps here tonight show a low around 45F, so anything that was in a pot came in.

It's only one night, so I can't see the harm in it, but there are another few nights coming up in the upper 40's here, so just askin...

FiveStar said:
But what say ye when the temps get into the forties? (Farenheit of course)...

Temps here tonight show a low around 45F, so anything that was in a pot came in.

It's only one night, so I can't see the harm in it, but there are another few nights coming up in the upper 40's here, so just askin...

Like I said, I have left my plants in the 40s for weeks now, and they are doing great.

I think low temps are overrated, I had my Habaneros flowering, and setting fruit in October weather which was 40-50 Night and Day temps!

The only negative thing it had on the plants was slower pod growth and ripining.

What you should worry about is low temps near 34 and below which can cause frost and thus foliage death and or damage to stems, flowers and pods.

I had my plants in the screened in porch on cold nites,some dipping into the low 30's.All the seedlings got a warm house on cold nites.

I put them outside for about 5 hours of direct sun at about 55 degrees... then brought them in for the night. They will be out tomorrow at about 60-65 all day then back in tomorrow night.

Then out for good I hope!

Interesting conversation. Thanks.

Back