• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Which light fixture and why?

I just found a great deal on two of these huge shelves, $25 for both but I only plan to use one for plants.  Really, I only plan to use 2 shelves on the one unit, which has 5 total.  Measurements are 73 1/2" H, 4' W, 2' D. 

7e97QWe.jpg

I can get four 72 cell flats on one shelf.  That said, I need some lighting fixtures just to start seeds in January and keep them going until last frost in April.  I found some fixtures at lowes but I'm not sure which would be the best route to go, which is why I need help.

1. This is a 4-bulb fixture and is 12" wide.  I am thinking I could center this fixture and it would work, although possible causing some stretching of the seedlings on the outer edge of the shelf.  I like the idea of this fixture because it would equal less plugs, and less work/materials required to reflect light over the area.  However, it's more expensive than the other fixtures I will include in this thread.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=283285-1390-GU9804-T8-BKSS&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1208545&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

2.  The following fixtures are two bulb fixtures that I would buy two of for one shelf, and stategically place them for even coverage of the entire shelf area.  They are cheaper, but require more outlets, and would need more thought in terms of reflectors.  I really don't like having more cords if it's avoidable, but I like saving money too lol.  The following are some of these fixtures:

A.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_420867-43921-MXL-103_0__?productId=4013485&Ntt=4%27+light&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3D4%2527%2Blight%26page%3D2&facetInfo=#BVRRWidgetID

B.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_420866-43921-MXL-102_0__?productId=4013483&Ntt=fluorescent+shop+light&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dfluorescent%2Bshop%2Blight&facetInfo=

C.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_371819-28839-SL-1_0__?productId=3579726&Ntt=fluorescent+shop+light&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dfluorescent%2Bshop%2Blight&facetInfo=

I am leaning more towards #1 but I am not sure if I would benefit more from a couple of the others or not?  Which would you choose and why?  Also, real quick,

Cool White (5000K) or  Daylight (6500K) ??

Id go with #1. I'd also mix the bulbs. 2 @ 6500k and 2 @ 5000k. Keep the light really close. Like within 2 inches of the top of the canopy.

kylec said:
I would use the one with 2 bulbs. Use 2 on each level and daylight will work fine 6500k
I would be able to spread the light from two 2-bulb fixtures than I could with the 4 bulb fixtures

Jamison said:
Id go with #1. I'd also mix the bulbs. 2 @ 6500k and 2 @ 5000k. Keep the light really close. Like within 2 inches of the top of the canopy.

This seems like the easiest way to go.  I just worry about the cells on the outer edge not getting enough light.  However, I could wrap the back and sides of the self in white plastic sheting help the lighting. 
Jeff H said:
Know how I know you didn't read the entire post?  :)

willard3 said:
3000 lumens per square foot of plant canopy  which translates from 30-50 watts/square foot of plant canopy.
They have two-per-pack bulbs for $9.  It saids they provide 2600 lumens which I assume it for the pair combined.  Figure 4 bulbs on one level would provide 5200 lumens.  Now I haven't figured the square footing per shelfand my math is horrid but I would think that would be plenty for what I am doing so long as I can harvest all the light to the one shelf via pastic sheeting like mentioned above.  Like I aid though Idon't need nor want these things flowering inside.  I just want a boost from starting early and for them to stay alive until I can release them to the wild lol

Browning said:

Know how I know you didn't read the entire post?  :)

They have two-per-pack bulbs for $9.  It saids they provide 2600 lumens which I assume it for the pair combined.  Figure 4 bulbs on one level would provide 5200 lumens.  Now I haven't figured the square footing per shelfand my math is horrid but I would think that would be plenty for what I am doing so long as I can harvest all the light to the one shelf via pastic sheeting like mentioned above.  Like I aid though Idon't need nor want these things flowering inside.  I just want a boost from starting early and for them to stay alive until I can release them to the wild lol

Sure I read the whole post, and I still think you are going to need 4 bulbs minimum. ;)

2600 lumens per bulb and by sight, your area looks like it is about 16"x4' which would be 5.2 square ft. Those two bulbs will give you 1000 lumens/sq.ft and that is assuming you don't loose any light at all. That ain't enough light.

Now, if you are worried about the cost of a 4 bulb fixture, buy two of the el cheapo 2 bulb ones.

And you won't really have to worry about them flowering if you are only using T8 bulbs.

Jeff H said:

Sure I read the whole post, and I still think you are going to need 4 bulbs minimum. ;)

2600 lumens per bulb and by sight, your area looks like it is about 16"x4' which would be 5.2 square ft. Those two bulbs will give you 1000 lumens/sq.ft and that is assuming you don't loose any light at all. That ain't enough light.

Now, if you are worried about the cost of a 4 bulb fixture, buy two of the el cheapo 2 bulb ones.

And you won't really have to worry about them flowering if you are only using T8 bulbs.

If I bought one of the 2 bulb fixtures I mentioned I would by two of those fixtures for one shelf.  I think it'll be enough to keep them alive.  I grew out my veggies like this last year with 2 T8 aquarium fixtures until last frost came.  They were in two 72 cell flats in an aquarium but I lowered the light to them until they got transplanted to 4" pots.  Some stayed in the aquarium and the rest went to windowsills.   That was tomatoes, corn, zucchini, beans, even watermelon, cantaloupe and pumpkins. I start everything indoors. Now obviously the ones I done this with the solo T5 did better, but it worked. Also has 2,000 lumens itself. Have the T5 in the aquarium now but I only have the one
3BcMwJB.jpg

I don't know I'm doing this on a small budget and It's really the only way to get a head start. If I had to I could just run 2 trays at first and start the rest later when it's warm enough to bring my mini 4 tier greenhouse back out of the shed. 

the fixture you linked with 4 bulbs is the one I linked in my original post

a couple of those OW's in my original post have been in that corner for a couple weeks and are greening up again already just from the sunlight that comes through it.  I had removed all leaves from then when I put them in there.  The ones that don't have only been in the windows for a fewdays

Back