• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which manure to use?

I am about to place an order for potting mix and manures and was wondering if someone could help me out here. I am thinking of mixing potting mix with manure and then pot my plants into them. Which manure is the best to go with?

Cow manure, chicken manure, mushroom compost. The supplier is also selling a mix of all 3. They also have mushroom n horse manure mix. Is this alright too.

What ratio would you mix?

worm is actually the best but to buy it is expensive

chicken is probably the best lots of nitrogen
i grew up on two farms and was told it great stuff

however the fee stuff is even better if you can get it LOL

thanks your friend joe

I prefer to go with cow. Mainly cause that is what is on the farm. When I had chickens it went on too, sparingly though. Chicken can get warm and it has a lot of ammonia in it.

In a colder climate, if you are going with a raised hotbed, horse is really good as it heats up nice.

My all time favorite was sheep. It would mix in with the alfalfa and the straw bedding and give a lot of good stuff to the soil.

i will try my chicken manure this summer! i have 5 chicken and i try to compost the manure with some wood chunk in it.
i will use straw in summer but now i buy some wood chunk (like in hamster cage) in the chicken coop.

sure it's much better than nothing ;)

I prefer to go with cow. Mainly cause that is what is on the farm. When I had chickens it went on too, sparingly though. Chicken can get warm and it has a lot of ammonia in it.

In a colder climate, if you are going with a raised hotbed, horse is really good as it heats up nice.

My all time favorite was sheep. It would mix in with the alfalfa and the straw bedding and give a lot of good stuff to the soil.
okie dokie
thanks your friend Joe

I thinks i'll make my own mix. 30% potting mix, 30% (cow, chicken, mushroom compost mix), 30% (horse mushroom mix) and 10% palm mulch on top. What yah guys reckon.

I get bags of rabbit, and love it's spread-ability, but for new beds, horse... all i want for free. I fill er up, and it shrinks by half at the end of the season...

I've been offered some free composted horse manure. Let's see how that goes and i am trying to contact someone giving free rabbit manure. Waiting for a response. Free is good too. Is it possible to plant stuff in just the manure only or do you still need some potting mix to go with that.

I personally prefer llama/alpaca because we get it for free. We've been using it for ~5 yrs., loading smaller piles in the garden in October and tilling them in around May.

Is it possible to plant stuff in just the manure only or do you still need some potting mix to go with that. Probably not just in the manure. I'd mix browns (shredded leaves, shredded newspapers, etc.) along with some manure and potting soil. As long as the manure has composted it shouldn't be too hot.

I thinks i'll make my own mix. 30% potting mix, 30% (cow, chicken, mushroom compost mix), 30% (horse mushroom mix) and 10% palm mulch on top. What yah guys reckon.

I'm pretty sure a potting mix with 60% manure would be too heavy and not drain well. At least add some more perlite or something.
Just my $0.02

i would prefer anything over cow and chicken because of the hormones and antibiotics they are fed.
horse, sheep, llama, rabbit, any of these would be preferable to me.
only manure i use is worm and green manure

I try to avoid horse manure due to the weed content, cows are much better digesters having 4 stomachs. As for sawdust/woodchips, I don't believe you have to worry too much about the pH in small quantities, its the tieing up of nitrogen or N deficiency that can become a problem but added with manure there should be plenty of N. Try to use local organic poop when possible and make your own composts

Thanks for all your suggestion guys. I decided to go with potting mix and the mix manure. Horse manure i only bought for some space i have in the front of my house which could do with some manure. I am planning on growing stuff there. It's common property.

i would prefer anything over cow and chicken because of the hormones and antibiotics they are fed.
horse, sheep, llama, rabbit, any of these would be preferable to me.
only manure i use is worm and green manure

i have lived on a dairy farm all my life and have never seen hormone 1 fed to a cow. antibiotics are used in extremely sparing amounts as there are only a limited number of ailments they are effective upon and they are expensive.

unless your cow poop or chicken poop is coming from a "beef factory" or commercial chicken operation you should have no reservations about using it on your garden.

I try to avoid horse manure due to the weed content, cows are much better digesters having 4 stomachs.

This. If the horses are pasture fed you will have all the wonderful free range weeds in your pretty little garden. I have access to all the horse pookie I could take, but I wont just because of the weeds. I used a heaping truck bed full of 6month old cow pookie last year and ended up with maybe a dozen stray weeds. Easy to pick out.

Watch how much chicken poo you use if you go with that. It is much "hotter" than cow patties (if you are getting it from someone fresh. Store bought wont be AS hot). A little goes a long way!

Back