• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which of these is the most painful?

I picked up some trinidad scorpion, 7 pod, and bhut jolokia pepper plants from a nursery. and currently all them have green peppers on them, the trinidad scorpions are most mature and appear to be either morouga or butch T.

A friend and I both ate a small piece of a very large green trinidad scorpion, and it was a instant horrible searing pain that went away in about 10 minutes, though I had milk, probably due to the small piece my friend said it was worse than a whole orange habanero.

Then I convinced him to eat a green 7pod, and for the first 10 seconds he was fine, then the heat hit him and he was out of commission for about 20 minutes he said it didn't burn as bad as the scorpion but that it lasted much longer, and built the whole time and was still far worse then a habanero.

Generally I read that bhut jolokia are not quite as horrifically bad as the other two. So I am just curious, both so I can work my way up with the mildest, and so I can give the hottest one to guys looking to eat the hottest pepper. Which of the 3 is likely to hit the hardest and have the worst pain upon eating it, and which would be more of a slow burn?

Also does anyone know if my peppers are morouga or butch T strain based on the heat pattern? The biggest oldest peppers don't have the "stinger" but most of the newer ones have a very fat tail/stinger.

Nice find with the Bhut, Scorpion and 7 Pod plants at a nursery middle of the summer. All three are as hot as they get but the Trinidad varieties seem hotter than the Bhut Jolokia to most. Like you said the Scorpion is instant burn where the 7 Pod is a creeper burn that seems to last a while. Welcome to THP! :welcome:

Nice find with the Bhut, Scorpion and 7 Pod plants at a nursery middle of the summer. All three are as hot as they get but the Trinidad varieties seem hotter than the Bhut Jolokia to most. Like you said the Scorpion is instant burn where the 7 Pod is a creeper burn that seems to last a while. Welcome to THP! :welcome:

Thank you, I will probably get some brain strain seeds next year depending on how these go. I didn't have the growing equipment or any idea if they would do as well as the habeneros did last year so I got some plants a few months ago, and thankfully they made it. I would say once the scorpions got fertilizer they thrived, while the other two types just did decently.

there all painful to one degree or other but the Butch T has to be the worst
haven't tried one yet but very soon

thanks your friend Joe

you must be one heck of a salesman. first you get your friend to eat a trinidad scorpion. than after that fire is out you convince him to eat a 7 pod. gee glad im not your pal. P.S. did you ever sell used cars? lol

you must be one heck of a salesman. first you get your friend to eat a trinidad scorpion. than after that fire is out you convince him to eat a 7 pod. gee glad im not your pal. P.S. did you ever sell used cars? lol

The TS was a "ill eat it if you eat it" type thing, and he thought he would get away with it by eating a really small piece, but he has less tolerance then me so it got him just as bad.

The 7pod was small and green still so small bites had little burn to them, so he decided he would eat the whole thing, and had a unpleasant surprise.

the scorps hit instantly. heavy mouth and throat burn. the 7pods have a delay and then build to a killing heat. the nagas (ghosts) build but do not reach the pain level of the other 2. that must be one hell of a nursery to have pants like that!

Quick question, somebody wants a scorp tomorrow, is my best bet for squeezing in every little bit of hotness I can is to leave them on the vine overnight, or would putting them in a plastic bag with a banana possibly cause ripening and increased hotness?

ripening must begin on it's own before a banana will do anything and then it can take a few days. Your best bet is to tell them to wait and be patient....the ride is better when complete.

Quick question, somebody wants a scorp tomorrow, is my best bet for squeezing in every little bit of hotness I can is to leave them on the vine overnight, or would putting them in a plastic bag with a banana possibly cause ripening and increased hotness?

There seems to be mixed opinions on using ethylene to ripen chiles. Most varieties are considered non-climacteric or semi-climacteric, i.e. they produce very little ethylene when ripening. Some sources say that using ethylene softens the fruit. It seems to vary quite a bit by variety though, and habaneros produce more ethylene than most varieties so it may be more effective with scorpions than say, poblanos or cayenne since they're more closely related to habaneros.

IMO, if you're dealing with really limited time they will ripen more quickly off the plant than on it. Picking the fruit seems to induce ripening from my experience, at least with chinenses and baccatums, maybe not with annums. Every time I knock off a green chinense or baccatum pod that isn't extremely immature, the color change seems to start within 24 hours as if being knocked off the plant signals it to ripen right away. Of course some of these may have started the color change that soon if left on the plant anyway, but I've knocked off a lot of pods and it seems to happen every time.

Most sources say that chiles don't ripen off the plant, but that's not the case from my experience, at least with chinenses and baccatums. I've knocked off, or occasionally picked fully green pods that changed to fully red or yellow within a few days. I knocked off an aji limo yesterday that was fully green and 24 hours later it's half yellow already. If you want to ripen a pod as quickly as possible I say pick it now.

Back