• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Which pepper variant for shady/indirect sun areas?

I am planning my flower beds and I need to choose 3 pepper variants to plant in my north beds. The areas get sunlight, but not direct sunlight. Hostas grow very well there, due to the roofing overhang that partially shields them from direct sun. I have the following pepper variants currently growing to select three from. Experienced growers, please chime in... Which 3 would you grow in indirect sun?

Krishna Jolokia
Prik Sam Daun
Peppadew
Trinidad Sweet
Yellow Trinidad Perfume
Zavory
Sweet Habanero
St. Lucia Red Seasoning
Inca Berry
El Oro De Ecuador
Bishop's Crown
Brazilian Pumpkin
Brazilian Starfish
Machu Picchu
Aribibi Gusano
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cajamarca
Aji Cito
Aji Cristal
Aji Pineapple
Aji Omnicolor
Birgits Locoto
Fish
Choc Mini Bell
St Helena Island Yellow
Datil
Black pearl
Tepin
Bulgarian Carrot
Aji Limon
White Bullet Habanero
Peach Habanero
Pumpkin Habanero

Peach Hab and pumpkin hab. A tepin might be ok. None of them would really like it, but they could all do reasonably well.

All pepper plants wil grow in partial or full shade, you will lose productivity though. If they are flower beds, why not plan them out for plant size and color? There are a lot of ornamental pepper plants that stay small. Some of the C.baccatum you have listed will eat up atleast 15 square ft. of space and some will get 7+ feet tall. If you aren't worried about things being uniform or contrasting, disregard my nonsense.

My pequins did the best out of all the c. annuums and c. baccatums I had planted in partial sun. Perhaps the tepin will do the best there. Don't bother planting c. chinese in anything but full sun.

Sweet. Thanks folks. It sounds like I can plant just about any of them in the northern bed. Thanks for the input!

-Mark

The only way I've had any luck getting Pubescens to POD here in the Florida heat has been to find them some shade - so I definitely recommend putting the Locoto in partial sun or shade. Chiltepins also seem to be partial to some shade.

Back