• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Which races together?

Hello,

I speak Dutch, so I'm sorry if my english has a bit hair on it ;)

I'm growing peppers for the first time.
I have 22 varieties and in order to save some space I would like to grow a couple peppers in duo or trio. (peppers from +/- the same size)
For some, like the Bhuts, it's pretty clear they can get pretty big.
But for most of them I find heights from 17 in to 70 in.

These are the races I have:
Hot Jalapeno peper Annuum
Hot Spanish peper Frutescens
Hot Thai peper Annuum
Sweet Italian peper Annuum
Habanero peper Chinense
Habanero white Chinense
Large red cherry peper Annuum
Pasilla bajio peper Annuum
Big Jim peper Annuum
Aji Brazilian pumpkin Bacathum
Bhut Joloka Chocolate Chinense
Bhut Joloka Chinense
Bolivian Bumpy Chinense
Explosive ember Annuum
Fatalli red Chinense
Golden Cayenne Frutescens
Jimmy Nardello Annuum
Little Elf Annuum
Monkey Face yellow Annuum
Paprika big orange bell Annuum
Paprika Californian golden wonder Annuum
Thai red rawit chili Annuum
Santa Fe Grande Annuum
Serrano Tampiqueno Annuum

Any ideas on which ones can be put together?

Itoero

:welcome: to THP!

I speak Dutch, so I'm sorry if my english has a bit hair on it ;)

No worries mate! My english has a bit hair on it too, after enough whiskey.

I think instead of "race" you mean "varieties". This place is jam-packed with friendly growers that will help you out.

P.S. Do you drink Gammel Dansk? good stuff!

You're wanting to grow multiple plants in single pots? There shouldn't be any problem growing different species together. Hard to predict the height of any of them, that's going to depend on how you grow them.

They can all be put together! Last year, I threw all kinds of species together in a single pot. The size of the pot, depends on the room the will have to grow. I wouldn't mix C. Annuums with C. Chinense (or any type that has a long harvest date for that matter) because they grow twice as fast and will leave the C. Chinense with less room for root growth and might tower over it blocking light. The White Hab and Explosive ember are shorter bushier plants vs. most of the others you've listed (that I personally am aware of)

Last season I had, scotch bonnet, ancient sweet...two more I can't remember in one container and another container with; yellow fatalii, bhut Jolokia, bode roxa and another two I can't remember.

All in all, as long as their time to harvest is close to one another, I think they will do alright together...just my opinion though, from my experiences.

Ok, thanks for the answers.
How big a containers do you normally take for 2,3 or 4 peppers?
I have containers of about 20 liter.

I'm planning to put most plants in the greenhouse or the garden, in open ground. So the roots will have enough space.

Oh, I don't really know what you're asking then. If they are going in the ground; do you mean that you want to plant them real close together so you can fit more varieties in a smaller area?

I had them in 18 gallon containers. They don't get very big (18-24in) but i got to enjoy many varieties.

Yes, I want more varieties and more winning from a smaller area.
And there will come several peppers on the terrace and inside, in winter....in containers.

I would say choose chinense varieties for the containers since they are slow growing and might not be done ripening by the time winter rolls around. Thai types I have grown have a tree-like habit - they grow up tall with a big bush of leaves (and pods!) at the top. The chinense I have grown (bhut, red savina) are more of a round bush with a ball of leaves all the way to the ground. Jalapeno and Serrano are generally medium size plants that grow up in a roughly cylinder shape.

All of that is just my personal experience and you might have different results. Good luck with your grow!

Welcome !

I wouldn't mix C. Annuums with C. Chinense (or any type that has a long harvest date for that matter) because they grow twice as fast and will leave the C. Chinense with less room for root growth and might tower over it blocking light. The White Hab and Explosive ember are shorter bushier plants vs. most of the others you've listed (that I personally am aware of)
+1

P.S. Do you drink Gammel Dansk? good stuff!
I have. It's a danish drink. It tastes like #¤%! ;)

20 liter pots equal about 4.5 UK gallons so that would be one plant. For two plants you would want a 50 liter pot. You can do two in a 20 liter pot but they will get root bound which will inhibit growth and reduce the amount of pods. Good rule to follow would be 20 liters per plant and the bigger the better.

Good luck

I've adjusted the list.
Is there a difference between the Cayenne and the Spanish pepper?

Bacathum is like Chinense and Frrutescens is like Annuum...correct?

These are the teams I made...I hope they like eachother.

Hot Spanish peper Frutescens+ Golden Cayenne
Sweet Italian peper Annuum+ Pasilla bajio
Habanero peper Chinense+ Habanero white
Large red cherry peper Annuum+ Big Jim
Bhut Joloka Chocolate Chinense+ Bolivian Bumpy+bhut
Monkey Face yellow Annuum + Little Elf++ Jimmy Nardello
Santa Fe Grande Annuum+ Serrano Tampiqueno
Aji Brazilian pumpkin Bacathum+ Fatalli red

Any comments?
shoot

Back