• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

White Hab

Somebody gave me a few peppers the other day and I'm gonna have to ID them at some point here. Question is? Are White Habs always bitter tasting. I couldn't resist eating one. Some heat too, but not bad. Frank :P

tinner666 said:
Somebody gave me a few peppers the other day and I'm gonna have to ID them at some point here. Question is? Are White Habs always bitter tasting. I couldn't resist eating one. Some heat too, but not bad. Frank :P

bitter?? Don't tell me that.... We had a bunch of albinos in the box of habs that just went into the elixir for the chocolate!

tinner666 said:
Well, I had tried some sweet cherry peppers earlier. It might have been subjective. Frank

Lol, well, fwiw, the chocolate turned out as sweet as ever, so I'm thinking that the bitter one was just a fluke.

I don't recall ever biting into a hab and thinking it was bitter. Course, I don't normally bite directly into them, unless I'm the one at the vegetable exchange doing the buying.

T

DEFCON Creator said:
The 'vegetable exchange'. Is that some sort of weird Tupperware party? :P

Actually, it's where we buy peppers. Some of us use more peppers than we can grow. :D

We're not McIlhenny, ya know.

That got me wondering. Tabasco is made on Avery Island in Louisiana. After Katrina, does anyone know if Avery Island still exists??? Granted Tabasco is mainstream, and not very good, but I would hate to see a historic company like that get wiped off the planet.

DEFCON Creator said:
That got me wondering. Tabasco is made on Avery Island in Louisiana. After Katrina, does anyone know if Avery Island still exists??? Granted Tabasco is mainstream, and not very good, but I would hate to see a historic company like that get wiped off the planet.

The headquarters is on Avery Island.

Nick posted news release that McIlhenny sent out right after Katrina, they're fine. I think they lost some stock, but nowhere near enough to hurt them for any length of time. These guys are huge!

You should see their facilities on Googlearth.

T

DEFCON Creator said:
They actually get the bulk of their peppers from south america now. The island just wasnt big enough to produce what they needed so I'm sure they are ok.

*edit* I don't care for the original Tobasco but their habanero and chipotle version work for me.

P_Schneider][quote name= said:
They actually get the bulk of their peppers from south america now. The island just wasnt big enough to produce what they needed so I'm sure they are ok.

*edit* I don't care for the original Tobasco but their habanero and chipotle version work for me.

Which would explain why they weren't hurt much.

T

The major hit Avery Island took was from the loss of tourisn & historic pieces. Like P said, most of the peppers come from international shipments and Tabasco has reported that all their people are safe.

Not to mention that McIlhenny/tabasco ages their mash for two years, unless their facility got hit they are in good shape and have mucho barrels of reserve. not to mention the warehouses full of the juice ready to ship.
HEADLINE NEWS do to hurricane tabsco co has to raise prices like the f------ greedy axx oil companies to reach their seven billion dollar quarterly profit margin.
anon

sorry about the ranting

fatalliman said:
Not to mention that McIlhenny/tabasco ages their mash for two years, unless their facility got hit they are in good shape and have mucho barrels of reserve. not to mention the warehouses full of the juice ready to ship.
HEADLINE NEWS do to hurricane tabsco co has to raise prices like the f------ greedy axx oil companies to reach their seven billion dollar quarterly profit margin.
anon

sorry about the ranting

You'll be pleased to know that regardless of gas prices, we're not raising ours. :D

Tobasco didn't really raise their prices did they?

No they didn't, that I know of(I don't buy it anyway)
I was just mocking the 7 billion profits the OC's made and blamed it on the hurricanes.

Gas is going back down though, it was $2.12 this morning here.
ML

fatalliman said:
I was just mocking the 7 billion profits the OC's made and blamed it on the hurricanes.

ML

It is going down here too. Although, since we don't import oil from you guys, we got "ripped off" more than you guys did. But then I live in a parliamentary democracy; we're used to that.

T

Tina Brooks said:
fatalliman said:

ML

It is going down here too. Although, since we don't import oil from you guys, we got "ripped off" more than you guys did. But then I live in a parliamentary democracy; we're used to that.

T

LOL!!! Need I say more. :D

DEFCON Creator said:
Tina Brooks said:
fatalliman said:

ML

T

LOL!!! Need I say more. :D

You could, but then we'd be talking politics. :D lol

DEFCON Creator said:
Actually, you'd be talking politics, I'd just be counting my blessings we don't live in a Parliamentary Democracy. :flamethrower:

I suppose it could be worse... You could always live in New Jersey. :doh: hehe

Back