• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense White Habanero

Hey guys,

So this is my second year germinating and growing chillies. All going well excpet for those darn White Habs.

I have purchased seeds from about 5 different sources and they are - in my experience - bloody difficult to germinate. I reckon I have a germination rate of about 40% in all. 10% will make it to seedling and just die. The remaining 30% without fail get their heads stuck in the seed pod... and I can never for the life of me get the seed casings off. They either rip the leaves clean off or just dont come off... and their leaves just rot in the seed casing. Oh, and then theres the plants with the shitty little leaves that never amount to anything... what gives???

Any suggestions welcome!

I use nail clippers to clip the seed heads off, just clip the rim very carefully and that seem to get the seed cap off. if you leave the cap on to long they cant grow and will die.

Yea exactly that, the petals just wilt inside the seed. Nail clippers... great idea... will try them - great tip - thanks!

Thanks Chsy83 - glad I'm not the only one! This will be my last year for trying - lol Oh hell who am I kidding :)

I haven't had a problem with my white Habs, especially in potting soil.... When using a seed starting mix, the seed would be stuck on most that germinated.... They pulled off easy enough in June, but the seeds I started in July, the few degrees increase in temperature was enough to make keeping them moist really hard.... Temperatures were awesome for germination but I couldn't keep it moist enough.... By the time I decided I needed to help them out in removing the seed, it was too late for most of them....

Try a heavier mixture on top of the seeds maybe?

I haven't had a problem with my white Habs, especially in potting soil.... When using a seed starting mix, the seed would be stuck on most that germinated.... They pulled off easy enough in June, but the seeds I started in July, the few degrees increase in temperature was enough to make keeping them moist really hard.... Temperatures were awesome for germination but I couldn't keep it moist enough.... By the time I decided I needed to help them out in removing the seed, it was too late for most of them....

Try a heavier mixture on top of the seeds maybe?

Yep I have to agree keep em moist try a "mini hot house" or whatever you want to call it or if you have them say in solo cups just put a ziplock baggie over them keeps the humidity and that my friend you cant go wrong GOOD LUCK

I managed to get one plant out of @10 seeds and it's struggling along. It never looks happy. I think I have some pods on it now, but it's not doing well and doesn't like the recent cool weather.

Moisture... interesting! Going to keep a good eye on that - very helpful guys... thanks. Now that its hotter the hot house is dryer... makes perfect sense thanks again!

Naga Vipers is another one I find are incredibly tricky...

I soaked my Peruvian White Habanero seeds in distilled water overnight along with all my other seeds. I was 3 for 3 with germination, no issues and the plants were beasts!

I left mine in moist kitchen towel in a ziplock bag in an incubator for 3 nights. This has worked well for most of my seeds, just the usual culprits.... white habs and Naga Vipers.

I had one today that came up and I used nail clippers to help, but inside the leaves where already spoiled.

i grew almost 1000 this year "thought the locals would love such a groovy plant" boy was i wrong,lol. i had great germination,i soak all my seeds from 1-4 hours just depending on what im doing. in trays in greenhouse,when its real hot i start them in my shed till they sprout then just put them outside for a few hours everyday until they start getting strong.

All this talk about white habs has me wanting to add some to my garden next season. Not try to hijack the thread, but really dont want to start another with the same title...
but ...
Which whit hab would anyone suggest and where to source them from?
Peruvian, Yucatan, giant, jellybean? There seem to be a few.
I am guess that im looking for flavor over heat.
Thanks in advance
Ga GH

lol you had better start a new thread... this one is full of chilliheads struggling to grow them lol - I hear the yucatan/white lightning/jelly bean veriety are the ones to have on the grow list. Although I personally once tried a White Habanero veriety that looked just like a White Habanero and had zero heat, but it's flavour was totally unique and absolutely out of this world.

Thanks peri,
Looking foward to the challenge they may bring. I assume the whites could be picked to early, like browns, bringing germination rates down, because its harder to tell when fully ripe. Was looking at the Yucatans. White lightnings. Hmm. Still time to search for next season in my hemisphere. Take care periperi.

Try jungle rains white habenero "jellybean" they are easy to grow/germinate and produce really well.

Great heat as well !!

Was looking at those on semillas.de last nite. Sounds like what i want.
Was trying to track down giant white habs, but do not see them available anywhere.
i see junglerain's has giant wht hybrids, but not straight option.
Thanks for the info Trippa!

Back