chinense White Reaper, could it be?

13654311_10206342239905071_2142897151451731937_n.jpg

SavinaRed said:
So how do white peppers taste in comparison to their red,yellow,brown counterparts ?

I've never tried a white pepper before.
To me, a lot of the really hot and super-hots pepper are too bitter.  I don't eat them whole, or even in big pieces, but use them in sauces, relishes etc

Last year I searched for a white variety to use in a white sauce this year.  Among those I was able to sample I settled on a White Bhut Jolokia I received from inolan22.

This pepper, while still very hot, had what I would describe as a very clean taste.  I could eat a small piece and really enjoy the delicious flavor as it was not overwhelmed with bitterness.  The was not bitter taste at all.  Hopefully I'll get a good yield and they will taste like the pepper Isaac grew.

In my limited experience,  the lighter the color, better the chance the good flavor of the pepper will be accessible.

cone9 said:
To me, a lot of the really hot and super-hots pepper are too bitter.  I don't eat them whole, or even in big pieces, but use them in sauces, relishes etc

Last year I searched for a white variety to use in a white sauce this year.  Among those I was able to sample I settled on a White Bhut Jolokia I received from inolan22.

This pepper, while still very hot, had what I would describe as a very clean taste.  I could eat a small piece and really enjoy the delicious flavor as it was not overwhelmed with bitterness.  The was not bitter taste at all.  Hopefully I'll get a good yield and they will taste like the pepper Isaac grew.

In my limited experience,  the lighter the color, better the chance the good flavor of the pepper will be accessible.

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll take a stab at a white variety next year.

cone9 said:

For me, no super has been bitter unless green but some have proven sour and it really does ruin the enjoyment. I had one Reaper sauce which was absolute bliss for about half a second before the flavour vanished beneath an intense wave of sour heat. This is why I hold that the Reaper is at its best by far in sweets and part of why I'm so excited for the Obeah. If whiteness really does mean no sour/bitter then I'd be all over this white Reaper. I do love the pepper's flavour.

My one experience with white peppers is a specific local seller's White Fatalii, which are apparently not representative of other people's white Fatalii as a whole. They were ever so slightly lemony like the seller claimed but by far the most prominent flavour was something I can only desribe as what you'd get if you took a herb that tasted like clotted cream and dried and aged it. They had a bit of that woody plantiness you get with straw but not any of the green taste I'd normally call a planty flavour. No sourness or bitterness either, just very unique and with a definite strong but not super heat upon swallowing.
Sadly I can't get them this year.

Back