• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

White sprouts?

These little guys, two aji Jobito and a reaper sprouted not too long ago. So far they solar fine but have remained a pale almost white color with just barely a tinge of green towards the stem side of their cotys. Any ideas?

They have been outside in my green house since they broke ground.

Old pic:
wqV7NC4.jpg

Well they have been out side in the sun yo lol
My “green house" is actuslly just a clear cover with a frame. Fairly portable.

Albino seedlings, they usually take a really long time to grow and eventually die. It's lack or very low levels of chlorophyll, Is pretty common genetic mutation, not good for plant. It's still possible they will recover but many just don't waste their time / space on them.

OKGrowin said:
Albino seedlings, they usually take a really long time to grow and eventually die. It's lack or very low levels of chlorophyll, Is pretty common genetic mutation, not good for plant. It's still possible they will recover but many just don't waste their time / space on them.

That actually sounds like what it could be! Luckily they just might be putting out leaves now so I'll see how things go.

MulchyDreams said:
Too much light too soon is my guess. 

I dunno, these had just broken ground when I moved them outside. If you think about it, when they germinate outside they are exposed to the same amount of light right after they make it out of the dirt.

Good point, although in nature the seedlings can sometimes start under a bit of shade as well like a tree.   

I can't totally tell from your photos but I had a whole batch of Morugas that were somewhat pale and stunted.  They weren't totally yellow like yours but very pale green and yellowish.  

I tried all sorts of things from foliar sprays of epson salt to bird and bat guano to micro-nutrients too (all very dilute since they were so small).  I adjusted Ph and let them dry out completely in-between waterings too, just in case it was root rot.

Yours actually look more like how mine do when I sprout them in the dark before I bring them into partial sun.  

Turned out they just wanted a bit less sun.  

The next batch I started in partial shade and they were dark green without any adjustments.  I'm gonna let those grow until they get a bit bigger and gradually bring them into full sun.

Since you got new leaves maybe they are starting to grow through whatever problem it is.
Got any new pics?  Just kind of curious about this one.  

What area of Japan do you live?  I was there for a year up in Northern Japan      

MulchyDreams said:
Got any new pics?  Just kind of curious about this one.  

What area of Japan do you live?  I was there for a year up in Northern Japan      

Yeah I need to get some new pics this weekend. They do seem to be doing just fine and perhaps you are right, maybe they do want some shade. I might move them. I had one tomato sprout that did the same thing but it ended up greening pretty well.

I am in the Tokyo Metro area, over in Saitama. Where you here as military?

Yes I was.  I only went to Tokyo for a weekend and had a great time.  It was much more rural where I was at.  Lots of amazing nature spots and hot springs.  

I know you got a nice season over there...the latitude is almost the same as here in SoCal.  But with more humidity which the plants aught to enjoy.        

Back