• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil White / Yellowish Grainy Top Soil

Hey,

After a couple days in the 3" cups, I have been noticing some funky white / yellowish grainy particles on the top of the soil.

I have been using some diluted H2O2/water mixture to try and get rid of it, but they do not seem to go away. They are in the spare bedroom with the door closed, so the there is little to no air movement (until I turn the fan on twice a day). I know the soil I got was cheap and probably unsterile.

I do not have any real good pics to show, but is this of any concern to the plants? I have about another month until I can plant them outside.

Any feedback would help :)

Thanks,

It's appearing on the soil right? Wasn't there before? Keep the fan going all the time if you can as it sounds like mold. Keep the air moving and it should stop. I'd say your H202 mixture may be too week also.

Yes it is appearing on the soil and was not there when I originally put the soil in the cup. I thought it was mold at first, but I am having my doubts. I have been mixing my water in a 20oz bottle and I put about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of H2O2 (3%) in the bottom and fill the rest with water.

Can mold be granular looking? It is definitely not fuzzy.

Could it be from the water I am using? I am just using tap water from our faucets (which comes from a well in the backyard and through a water softener).

I think you have some mold, if you are using permiculite, you will see its permiculite cause its the uncrushed relatively big grains of permiculate that float up, if it looks like frosted soil, then i suspect you have some mold.

And, I dont think it has to be a big concern.

lavish said:
I think you have some mold, if you are using permiculite, you will see its permiculite cause its the uncrushed relatively big grains of permiculate that float up, if it looks like frosted soil, then i suspect you have some mold.

And, I dont think it has to be a big concern.

I have not put any permiculite in the soil (unless there is some already added) and it definitely looks like "frosted" soil. I will see if I can get a picture when I get home, but last time I tried to get a close-up pic it didnt turn out so well.

inolan22 said:
I will see if I can get a picture when I get home, but last time I tried to get a close-up pic it didnt turn out so well.

Did you press this button first?
96990454_23d4e93860_m.jpg

i've got one or two cups with seedlings that have what sounds like the same white substance forming on the top of the soil, as far as i can tell in my case at least it looks like mineral buildup due to the fact im using tap water

can you only see it when the soil starts to dry?

allXbutXgone said:
i've got one or two cups with seedlings that have what sounds like the same white substance forming on the top of the soil, as far as i can tell in my case at least it looks like mineral buildup due to the fact im using tap water

can you only see it when the soil starts to dry?

Yes, it definitely gets more visible as the soil gets dry!

Here is a pic, kinda blurry, but you can see what I am talking about? I can't seem to get a clear picture with the digital camera...even after clicking the button shown above.

GrainyTopSoil1.jpg

I would say follow the above suggestions. I had something similar going on when I was testing a few seeds with the heat mat I bought back in December. Leave the door open all the time and run the fan while you can.

Its more granular than yours AllXbutXGone. Its like small "salt" looking particles, but some are white and some are yellowish.

I have been leaving my dog out during the day time lately, so if I left the door open, who knows what kind of havoc he would cause the plants!! I guess I could always put him in his cage too :shocked:.

Watch out!
Neo.jpg

Back