• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Whiteflies and Thrips - Please help!!!

I believe i am having a problem with whiteflies and some thrips. The whiteflies i have seen and it doesnt surprise me at all, since my wife has a bunch of flowering plants in the same area.

I came to the conclusion that the other insects are thrips because of the signs on the leafs. some are yellowish at the tips, deformed, and some even are turning brownish on the veins in the underside. I read in a book (The Complete Chile Pepper Book: A Gardener's Guide to Choosing, Growing, Preserving, and Cooking), that some plants are suffering from tomato spotted wilt virus, that is carried/transmited by thrips.

How can i control these?

I will try to post pics of some of the damage tomorow as i cant get decent pics off my iphone at night

one of the best ways to control virus's, and by control i mean ... stopping them from spreading to other plants, is to use a strong systemic dose of imidicloprid.

it will knock down the sucking insects that transmit tmswv. i had this btw, theres images i posed up somewhere.
theres a number of studies on the subject, and its effacacious when done right. however im assuming you dont have FIELDS of tobacco or tomatos or w.e. so you should just toss the plants infected.

you need to post pics of your plants tho, as its difficult to confirm what you are saying without them.
tmswv is very distinctive, and hard to miss diagnose, so im assuming you are correct on that one.

one of the best ways to control virus's, and by control i mean ... stopping them from spreading to other plants, is to use a strong systemic dose of imidicloprid.

it will knock down the sucking insects that transmit tmswv. i had this btw, theres images i posed up somewhere.
theres a number of studies on the subject, and its effacacious when done right. however im assuming you dont have FIELDS of tobacco or tomatos or w.e. so you should just toss the plants infected.

you need to post pics of your plants tho, as its difficult to confirm what you are saying without them.
tmswv is very distinctive, and hard to miss diagnose, so im assuming you are correct on that one.

Thanks for the reply,

I am basing my conclusion t=on the book i mentioned above, where it has a picture of an infected leaf with tmswv that is simile to some of my plants. They look almost like they were burned

edit: btw i do have some tomato plants nereby, which also appear affected. should i toss them ?

anyhow, will post some decent pics tomorrow

Here are some pics i took just now of some affected plants. The last one is of a tomato, which i have scrapped. I have seen a few whiteflies on the underside of leaves in various plants as well as similar in size, black flies, but these are on the top and stem.

IMG_0867_zps1d0b1f98.jpg

IMG_0868_zps383f1e6e.jpg

IMG_0871_zps37333888.jpg

I stopped by a hardware store on my way to work and picked up these two products
IMG_0872_zps12346c0c.jpg

IMG_0873_zps243de1a5.jpg

Any suggestion as to which to apply? I am leaning towards the orchard spray just because I read somewhere on the forum of someone using it successfully. Thanks

I have found one easy way to control thrips and whiteflies. I keep a water tank in my greenhouse, and I throw one "mosquito dunk" in the tank about every 3 months. I try to only water from the tank. Now, the only time I see thrips or whiteflies is when I haven't been using strictly treated water, or if I forget to throw a new dunk in the tank. The caveat to this method is that you still have to get the outbreak of the adults under control, the mosquito dunk only controls the larvae.

I have found one easy way to control thrips and whiteflies. I keep a water tank in my greenhouse, and I throw one "mosquito dunk" in the tank about every 3 months. I try to only water from the tank. Now, the only time I see thrips or whiteflies is when I haven't been using strictly treated water, or if I forget to throw a new dunk in the tank. The caveat to this method is that you still have to get the outbreak of the adults under control, the mosquito dunk only controls the larvae.

Thanks, I dont know how easy that would be for me considering the plants are on my balciony and i would need to water all plants, not only peppers, with the mosquito dunked water.

I have gone ahead and sprayed all the plants with the orchard spray. Lets see how it goes.

Back