• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Whiteflies? Fungal disease? Something is wrong...

Masher said:
I'd re pot asap.

Higher temps of summer in those pots will just continue to add more stress to an already stressed out plants.

Hope they recover for ya.

:cheers:

Thank you! Based on your advice, I repotted them today into 5 gallon buckets (with 13-14 holes drilled into the bottom of each). I opted for a miracle grow performance organics potting mix. I was shocked to see that 2 of the 3 plants were rootbound! Mind you I had just transplanted them from far smaller pots in March. They grew a lot! Hope they recover as well...

solid7 said:

The "normal" instructions are nearly worthless.  Neem is an oil.  Like most oils, it doesn't mix with water.  So you have to emulsify it, so that it has half a chance of getting out of the sprayer in some sort of homogenous mixed form.
For a 2 gallon sprayer - 2 Tbsp of Neem, 1 Tbsp liquid soap. (DO NOT use detergent - Dr Bronner's Peppermint is my go-to)
In a separate container, mix the soap and Neem, and mix thoroughly, before adding to the sprayer of water.  I like to run the water into the sprayer while I'm pouring in the emulsified mixture, so that it mixes easier.  Either way, you give the sprayer a good shake when it's all in there, and you're off.  As noted by others, only spray at night.

Thank you for this info!

solid7 said:
Just noticed that you used a raised bed mix in a container, so I'm seconding the recommend to re-pot.  Get a container mix in there, or make your own.
That's at least part (if not all) of the problem.

Thank you - that is what I ended up doing. I used an organic potting mix and noticed that there was plenty of perlite, while there was NONE in the raised bed soil. I am sure that will make a big difference IF they survive all of this :).

One more question for you all:

Now that Ive repotted to 5 gallon pots, added a better potting soil added more shade, should I consider pruning? And/or fertilizing? The neem oil issue was extreme, so much so that hosing the plants down is NOT removing the sticky residue! Not sure what to do to remove it other than a hard prune. Keep in mind that we are about to enter extreme heat here in Phoenix, so I want to be as cautious as I can with respect to disturbing or stressing the plants any further.

Thanks!

Dont trim, the sticky residue will protect the plant for the next month.

Just relax, water when it dries out, feed every other week as needed.

They will recover, just give them time.

Good for you and happy growing

:cheers:

Back