• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

WHO RELOADS THER OWN AMMO AND/OR IS A CARTRIDGE COLLECTOR AND/OR GUN NUT LIKE ME??

THIS SHOULD PROVE QUITE INTERESTING AND I SINCERELY HOPE SO TOO!! ;)

i will touch this one off as i never talked much on here about this hobby

im a reloaded and a cartridge collector on top of owning a few guns

i will begin

i have a cartridge collection that if i took my very best guess would be somewhere around 10 to 12000 cartridges, its a sprawling collection some are on display boards some are not AND FAR FARTOO MANY TO LIST HERE!! ;) BUT NO WORRIES I WILL CHIME IN ON SOME OTHER STUFF I HAVE LATER

AND ASK IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO THE SAME!! :dance:
oh yeah also i will talk about my guns past and present i encourage you to do the same love to hear the stories
i will hopefully one day be able to set up my shop again and have more time to reload

i have in the past reloaded  for the following

PISTOL
25 ACP(personally)
32 ACP
7.62X25 TOKAREV (personally for my CZ 52 Czech pistol)
380 ACP
38 special
357 mag
9MM LUGER
38 super auto (if memory serves me)
40 S&W
10MM AUTO
400 COR BON
44 SPECIAL
44 MAG
45 ACP

223 REM
22 250 REM
220 SWIFT
243 WIN
257 WEATHERBY MAG
6.5X55 SWEDISH MAUSER  (PERSONALLY)
7MM REM MAG
308 WIN(PERSONALLY)
3006 SPRINGFIELD  (PERSONALLY)
7.62X54R    (FOR MY PERSONAL MOSIN NAGANT RIFLES)
303 BRITISH  (PERSONALLY)
8MM MAUSER

12 GAUGE of many load types  (including round ball and slug)

go ahead lets see if your like me :party:
but please i ask that everyone one be kind to each other, i have seen as many debate on this subject as with hot peppers so lets play nice ok
;)

thanks your friend Joe

The more I learn about you Joe, the more I like! 
I'm getting into guns myself and have been interesting in reloading, although I've heard things such as the time and money put into it isn't worth it but obviously this is just an opinion that you would probably disagree with.

I own a Smith & Wesson M&P .45 C, and an Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport
I'm thinking of selling my S&W M&P 15 Sport and using the $ to buy a brand new Bushmaster CB-15 Carbon 
I'm also debating between buying an AK47 or a SKS

megahot said:
The more I learn about you Joe, the more I like! 
I'm getting into guns myself and have been interesting in reloading, although I've heard things such as the time and money put into it isn't worth it but obviously this is just an opinion that you would probably disagree with.

I own a Smith & Wesson M&P .45 C, and an Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport
I'm thinking of selling my S&W M&P 15 Sport and using the $ to buy a brand new Bushmaster CB-15 Carbon 
I'm also debating between buying an AK47 or a SKS
thank you

it becomes worth it when you consider you roll better ones than you can buy and your very limited to what you can get store bought and i never much cared for the over the counter crap except for plinking and even that stuff has become to expensive to just blast away at cans and other interesting stuff ;)
but reload pays of especially when you have a custom caliber or one you just can find you can also improve on ballistics

so really reloading is still the way to go in so many ways

getting started is the big hit money wise

i have a bunch a stuff from years back and never let go of i also got a bunch of reloading stuff when my shooting and reload friend passed away in 2005 :tear: rest in peace Ivan!!

i would buy a DSA Preditor in either 308 or 243 im not a AR 15 and fan never was, there good guns but i love FAL's
i would go with the AK
i have a friend who has a Romanian Draco AK pistol THAT THING IS MEAN!!

THANKS YOUR FRIEND jOE
Pepperjack91 said:
When the world goes to hell and I need my 3006 cartridges refilled i'm gonna find you.  :P
I DON'T RELOAD FOR ANYONE BUT MYSELF SORRY INSURANCE REASONS LOL and i know you where joking around

however i have a favorite load for the 3006 if you can get someone to do it for you
this load is listed in the most recent Hodgden reloading table
55.5 grs H414 180 gr bullet (2700 fps and change) it is potent medicine for anything in N. American and other places
and is an excellent load for hunting in heavy brush and wooded areas
i use Hornaday Interlock or Sierra pro Hunter psp bullets

thanks your friend Joe

mx5inpa said:
I loved my Glock 20 and AR-15. Had to sell them though.

Double Tap makes some really nice ammo for the 10mm. So fun to shoot.
i want a big bad 10mm but have not yet decided on what model, not having the $$ has alot to do with that  LOL ;)

Did someone say reloading and shooting? I am down with this topic.

Just had a discussion in my glog yesterday. There is a bunch of gun stuff there. Page 13 is pretty much dedicated to what you need to defend your pepper plants. Feel free to chime in on the discussion.

A few reloads below. Pepperjack, will these 30-06 work for ya? I have more where those came from.
IMAG0945.jpg

200 yards. AR 15. Open sights. only a sling for support i.e. no bench rest.

IMAG0110.jpg

Jeff H said:
Did someone say reloading and shooting? I am down with this topic.

Just had a discussion in my glog yesterday. There is a bunch of gun stuff there. Page 13 is pretty much dedicated to what you need to defend your pepper plants. Feel free to chime in on the discussion.

A few reloads below. Pepperjack, will these 30-06 work for ya? I have more where those came from.
IMAG0945.jpg

200 yards. AR 15. Open sights. only a sling for support i.e. no bench rest.

IMAG0110.jpg
ah yes how sweet it is!!  your loading for an M1 Garand!!
223 rem and 45 acp as well right??!!

ajijoe said:
ah yes how sweet it is!!  your loading for an M1 Garand!!
223 rem and 45 acp as well right??!!

Yep, you got them all right. I have a set of dies for just about everything I shoot except 32ACP and 7.62x39, and I haven't gotten around to buying hte dies for 7.62x54R but I will someday.

Currently reload
9mm
38spl
357mag
45ACP
30-06

Just bought a pistol in 40S&W so I have a set of dies on the way for it as well. MidwayUSA is my friend.

I love my 30-06. It's one of my most prized possessions. I've been thinking about how handy it would be if I could reload the ammo. How much of an investment would it be upfront for equipment and what not?

For just the basics It will cost a few hundred for all the little things you need. You'll be loading for 1/2 the price of factory ammo if you buy in bulk. If you shoot enough you will save money reloading. In reality, you spend the same amount of money but shoot twice as much. :D

Jeff H said:

Yep, you got them all right. I have a set of dies for just about everything I shoot except 32ACP and 7.62x39, and I haven't gotten around to buying hte dies for 7.62x54R but I will someday.

Currently reload
9mm
38spl
357mag
45ACP
30-06

Just bought a pistol in 40S&W so I have a set of dies on the way for it as well. MidwayUSA is my friend.
i love the 7.62x54r its my second favorite military 30 cal 3006 is #1 i own 3 mosin nagants and i love love um!!

great caliber very powerful almost like the 3006 and a great deer caliber as well the m44 carbine is a handy bruch gun if you dont mind the straight pull bolt its a better cal for deer and a a better insurance policy againt most anythin you will encounter her than the venerable 3030(those who like there 3030's dont get me wrong great guns but the 3030 only became popular becaiuse of the gun it was chamberer originally in the Win 94 and its an excellant rifle no doubt

i like a little extra punch its better to be over-gunned than under-gunned and the more powerful cals are more humane in most ways IMHO

and on the subject of more powerful

i wanna get a get (someday) a RUGER M77 AFRICAN in 375 RUGER with all i have researched its an awesome cambering and has a rep for 1" to 2" MOA

thanks your friend joe
Jeff H said:
For just the basics It will cost a few hundred for all the little things you need. You'll be loading for 1/2 the price of factory ammo if you buy in bulk. If you shoot enough you will save money reloading. In reality, you spend the same amount of money but shoot twice as much. :D
amen to that

megahot said:
I prefer the .308 caliber vs .30-06 but its just my personal preferance. The .308 seems to be more accurate.
there is nothing at all wrong with the 308,but i think with me it has much to do with the fact that i grew up on the 3006 and love it and truly i have a hard time seeing much difference in accuracy however the 06 does have a velocity edge of about 300 to 450 fps depending on bullet weight and that equates to more M.E. maximum energy and this is only due to the fact that the 06 has a larger powder capacity, the 308 comes into its own with short pull actions and its so close to balistically that this is one of the place's where the 308 wins the popularity contest the other is the 308 is a current world military caliber and it does function faster in automatic weapons

i have reloaded for both and like the 308 but i have seen how versatile the 3006 it is
i have a load for varmint with Hodgden Varget with a 110 gr bullet at 3200 fps that shoots the same as a 55.5 gr load of H414 and a 180 gr bullet at 2700 and change, there so close accuracy-wise i don't have to adjust my scope, that's just amazing in my opinion!!  now of course this is my drawing on personal experiences and im not pitting the 06 against the 308 because its like comparing apples to apple ballistically speaking and as you said and i respect is the 308 is you personal preference the 06 is mine
on another note the 308 is a wonder parent cartridge that have given birth to as many awesome wildcats as the 3006 the 243 win being one of the best IMHO
thanks your friend Joe

megahot said:
I prefer the .308 caliber vs .30-06 but its just my personal preferance. The .308 seems to be more accurate.
But that isn't authentic in a M1 Garand.

Other than that, love 308. My brother has an AR10. It is a blast to shoot.

I have reloaded for the past 19 years. I load 45acp, 38 spl, 357 mag, 243 Win, and 223 Rem. Loads are developed for each particular weapon, as no two weapons share the same build tolerance.

There are no factory ammo loadings that could possibly perform as well as properly loaded handloads. The probability of factory ammo just happening to jive up perfectly for a particular weapon is nonexistent, and the variance between each factory loading is far too spread out, as factory ammo is machine-made thousands of rounds at a time.

Handloading one at a time with precise consistency, weighing each and every charge results in little to no variance from shot to shot. Any shot that does not land in the same hole is then shooter error.

For anyone that does not handload, you are missing out on experiencing the full potential of your weapon. As a bonus, you will save a lot of $$$$, as even in today's grossly-inflated ammo market, I am still loading 223 for half the cost of the cheapest brass-cased rounds.

P.S. Joe: I knew you were a hand loader by your email address (mosinjoe). Those old Mosins sure can be accurate...

Hey Joe, my order from Midway came today.

20140124_185924.jpg

When I brought them down into the reloading room, I glanced up at my sets of dies, and one jumped out that I didn't remember buying.

20140124_185910.jpg

I guess I can take it off of the must buy someday list. :D

MS1476, I agree with everything you say about reloading. I'd have a tough time punching accurate holes at 600 yards with factory stuff, but weighing every charge...I don't have the patience for that. My powder dispenser is almost always +/-.1grain throwing RL15. That is good enough for me. I don't think I could tell 24.1 from 23.9gr. A slight breeze will move the bullet more than that.

Haven't got into reloading (yet), but definitely got into shooting and guns since moving to La. Having not grown up around guns in Oz, it took a little while and a lot of research before I bought my first gun here. Started with a Savage 64 .22lr which I regrettably sold a year ago. Now have a Maverick 88 12ga for home defense, a Remington 870 Wingmaster and Winchester 1400 for range clay shooting fun, a Marlin model 60 .22lr, Ruger p89 and my wife has a Rossi .357 magnum revolver. Wish I'd got a Mosin Nagant while they were still around $100. Need to add a rifle to the line up. 

Jeff H said:
Hey Joe, my order from Midway came today.

20140124_185924.jpg

When I brought them down into the reloading room, I glanced up at my sets of dies, and one jumped out that I didn't remember buying.

20140124_185910.jpg

I guess I can take it off of the must buy someday list. :D

MS1476, I agree with everything you say about reloading. I'd have a tough time punching accurate holes at 600 yards with factory stuff, but weighing every charge...I don't have the patience for that. My powder dispenser is almost always +/-.1grain throwing RL15. That is good enough for me. I don't think I could tell 24.1 from 23.9gr. A slight breeze will move the bullet more than that.
i have the same die

hodgden varget and H414 work great in the 7.62x54r so does imr 3031

No Varget, but I have 8 lbs of IMR 4895 that I bought for the Garand that will work well. Also the RL15 I use for 223 should work equally as well. Those WW2 cartridges used faster powders than a modern cartridge that size would use.

Since I've brought up the Garnad a couple times in this thread, how about a pic???

20140112_105717.jpg

Oh, and because I know you like Mosins, here is a beat up- needs a new barrel 'cause the idiot previous owner didn't know anything about corrosive ammo but is still fun to shoot- M44. What a thumper.
20140112_105937.jpg

Back