• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Who should I Kill?

So my dilema is this; I started 16 plants indoors this year, four seeds in each pot. Naturally out of however many of the four that sprout I kill of the weaker superfluous seedlings. None of my Jalapenos sprouted this year, They were an F3 batch of seeds; the parent plant originally came from Homedepot, I think it was a Bonnie. Every year thus far seeds have produced wildly different plants and pods(but usually sprouts in less than 10 days). In addition I had one pot that had ring of fire cayenne that SAK59 sent me, also none of which sprouted. So instead of killing all of the superfluous sprouts I transferred many into the pots where all four seeds failed to germinate.

issue #1 Is one of the Jalapeno pots that I moved a Long Thick cayenne into sprouted a jalapeno a couple days ago, should I keep the cayenne going and kill the jalapeno? or should the cayenne get the scissors?

Issue #2 Is a Ring of Fire finally sprouted (27 Days Late!!!) after I had already transplanted a 7 Pot into it's pot. Who should get snipped in this scenario?

Here's a link to my grow log: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37052-capsicumexanthematicus-2013-grow-vlog-video/

I posted a video last night if you want to see what the sprouts look like.

I think the answer to your question is which variety do you find more desirable to keep? We can't really answer that question for you. Which ever one you want to keep is the one you should keep.

Heh - give your germination failures, I would recommend gently digging up each "excess" sprout and moving it to a different pot.

Regarding your germination failures, if you first soak your seeds in a 10:1 mix of water:hydrogen peroxide, you'll kill off any nasties that may be lurking. Could be mold or something got to your seeds. Could also just be that the seeds weren't viable, but if they were taken from ripe pods, likely something got to them.

i often grow 2, sometimes 3 plants in 1 container. cayenne and jalapeno pods are so readily available at my grocers that it is a waste of effort for me to grow them. since i reuse my seedling soil, i am very often surprised by a seed sprouting in a container mid way through the season.

good luck

Issue 1 I would keep the long thick cayenne...I like them and you can always buy Jals that are decent at the grocery store. Issue two I would keep the 7 for sure, but maybe try to move the ring of fire...its a cool looking plant. Good luck!

Just to share my perspective a little more, the Jalapenos, are of an unknown variety and open pollinated have produced wildly different phenotypes every season, This is the fourth generation I've grown and the third starting from seed. Although there has been huge morphological disparities between both plants and pods, this is my first season having a batch of nonviable seeds. The plant I yook seeds from last season was producing enormous pods but was completely intermingled with a bhut plant. I'm worried I might kill off a potential bhutopeno (very unlikeyl and likely not possible), but who knows?

Long thick Cayenne, I have an overwintered plant, and all my seeds sprouted in a timely manner with ample vigor, other than that its a wonderful pepper that I'd much rather have opposed to a regular jalapeno.

This is my first season growing 7 Pots (or any trinidad variety for that matter), but then I've never grown Ring of Fire either. Either way, I'll have at least one 7 pot plant. How interesting is the ROF compared to other cayennes, would I be missing alot not to grow it ? and shouldn't I question the vigor of a plant that took 27 days to sprout?

Keep in mind relocation is not an option 16 peppers is my indoor max this season, only two can live the other two must die. :hell:

Back