• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

WHOLEY CRAP BATMAN

I tend to like spicy food and I've had Habaneros and such before and lived to tell about it, but until an hour or so ago I was a Super Hot Pepper virgin (blush). I bought a mixed SFRB from Scorched mainly to get the seeds but I figured what the hell lets give er a try (as I fished out the seeds). I took a small tee tiny bite from a few of em and Wholey Hell :flamethrower: My hats off to you guys and gals that can eat whole pods. The following is a brief recall of what I seem to remember :
#1 I think I started by trying 7 Pot Madballz Red had some flavor on the front before the mouth burn sat in .... I survived
#2 was the 7 Pot Lava Yellow which had a floral flavor before the mouth burn crept in ...... I lived again
#3 I figure what the hell let's go for it, so I take a bite of Carolina Reaper   WTF   nasty heat with no flavor all in my chest and throat
#4 after a 10 minute recovery I do a Bhut and I think it's even hotter than the Reaper, massive chest heat and my lips feel all greasy like they are melting off my face...
#5 once I recovered and checked my sanity, I tried a Douglah and I think it had the most intense mouth burn of any of them, 30 minutes afterwards and my lips are still touchy :banghead:
I'll still be trying the sweet ends of the super hots to build up my tolerance, but it'll prolly be many cold days in hell before I venture into gulping down a whole pod. Just sign me Mr. Devirginated :eek:

I don't know how people eat whole superhots. I never have. I can handle whole habs no problem and maybe a quarter or third of a superhot on a cracker with some goat cheese. But a whole superhot by itself just seems like a bad idea for me and my stomach. I hate cap cramps.

Yes last year I did the macho man thingy eating a few supers whole like reaper, moruga and 7 pot. Not anymore lol that is no longer something I like doing at all. The good thing is I never puked and held the peppers down. This year I eat the end 1/4-1/3 of the pepper to get the flavor and see how they taste.

Every now and then after a couple of beers my brother and I will goad each other into eating some whole peppers or cutting one in half and both eat them at the same time. Its kind of fun and my kids and wife think we are nuts. Its not as bad when you see someone else suffering along with you lol. Jus the other night we did it with a Butch T, a Jays Peach followed by a Red Ghost. Needless to say we were on fire for a while after that.

Very happy you survived your super hot debut, that's something to be proud of! After Scorched offerings you can see why I was inquiring about heat tolerance? I give you much credit for being able to explain your reactions!!! I'm not a super hot fan myself even though I grow them. Proud of you, you're now a member of an exclusive club that resides here. I did mix up a number of my Douglahs and Bhuts for my daughter to take to college, pepper spray protection. Habs and Bonnets are what I enjoy, the other stuff is fun to look at but beware---!!!

Thanks for everyone's replies and likes, now that it's been over 6 hours since the events unfolded; it really wasn't that hot (muahhhh hahahahahaha) :rolleyes:
I've harvested hot pepper seeds in the past so I kinda remembered the ground rules. I used a glass cutting board, put lotion on my hands before putting on my vinyl gloves, not touching myself afterwards when I went to the toilet, ect, but there was one that I forget.

I did the deseeding in 4 rounds with the 13 varieties (about 30 pods total). After each round I'd taste one of the varieties, remove my gloves, and sit for a lil while. Then I'd repeat the process. After I was finished, I took the cutting board and knife to the sink and with scalding hot water running I placed the cutting board under the water and whoooooosh I was hit with capsaicin steam from hell. :mouthonfire:  OMG, I coughed and hacked and snotted myself for 5 straight minutes. NOTE TO SELF, that's the rule you forgot ..... The only real ill side effects that I have is a permanent sunburn on my wrists where I removed the gloves 4 times. I did notice that I didn't have any hand burning or twitching from the extraction like I remember from the past, perhaps it was the prelotioning of the hands or better vinyl gloves (shrug)

And in the words of a great American poet (Forest Gump), that's all I got to say about that.

I grow them for a living and unless it is for sampling, I don't eat whole pods above ghost peppers.  Even then, I usually stuff them with something, dip them in something, or pickle them sweet.  Bread and Butter ghost peppers rock.  So you are not alone.

BTW: I like to scratch my back but not with a belt grinder.

Back