• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Why are Flowers and Leaves falling of my Big Jim

My Big Jim was doing very well. It is still indoors in potting soil. I was excited last week when I saw flowers. The problem is that at least 3 have fallen off. There are still 2 more and many more forming. At the same time, many of the large bottom leaves have yellowed and fallen off. They were large as I over fertilized when the plant is young. I hadn't fertilized in weeks, maybe a month. Is it possible that that there was still too much nitrogen on top of the soil, and when I watered, it got to the roots? I hope I didn't do anything wrong, as I fertilized last night, thinking a lack of nutrients was causing the issue.

I can't wait to get this into the ground, but will not be setting up my garden until May 28th. What condition caused the dropped flowers and yellowed, fallen leaves? Also, the flowers are beautiful and white, but they always hang down a little. Are they supposed to point up, or at least be straight?

Thanks

Not all flowers will set fruit, alot of them drop off. I think you would only have to worry if all of them are dropping off.
Which would probably indicate too much nitrogen or maybe lack of pollination.

Also remember that peppers are a warm season crop and like warm weather to start setting good pods. I always have pods turn yellow and fall off early in the season due to night time temps still cool. As soon as the nights start getting warmer, you will see alot more pods setting fruit. I have found that for me, I have more yellowing of leaves due to over-watering than lack of ferts. Peppers like damp soil but not overly wet. But what works for one person, doesn't seem to work for all. Hope this helps some.

Charles

I also tend to over water. This causes yellowing with my houseplants. I should know better. The plant does drink a lot. I can't wait to get this in the ground.

Also if the plants are young most won't set fruit until they are ready, they know when they can support it. The over watering will turn leaves yellow.

At least 10 flowers have fallen off since my last post. I do however, have 1 pepper growing! I'll post pictures Thursday night.

If you have a pepper growing, then you are in good shape!! I think peppers "know" when they're ready to go for it and when they aren't, and they act accordingly. sometimes making pods and other times dropping the flowers until they're ready. There's a huge difference between a plant that's incapable of making any pod at all, versus one that is choosing its battles selectively and producing sparsely at first. It sounds like you're in good shape.

Back