• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Why are my leaves turning white?

DatilDaddy

Banned
Im growing a variety of hot peppers and the leaves turned white seemingly overnight. I checked them in the afternoon and thats when i noticed they were thin on the white patches almost like i could see through if i held them to a light. Its been hot here in florida recently and i was thinking sunburn but it does not look like any of the images i have searched for. I really dont want to lose these plants!!!

Without photos I would say they are sun burnt. That is the normal protocol, turn white, then the white disappears. Where they indoors or not in direct sun recently? This is usually a sign of not being hardened off enough.

Throw up a photo and it will be much easier to decide.

Im sorry but i do not have a photo. They were in direct sun but i thought most peppers were sun loving plants.

some leaves go white, some light brown, some shrivel. you can't save the sun damaged leaves so pick them off. if you are really worried about your plant put an aspirin tablet in 1 quart of water and feed it to the plant. tonight, give your plant a misting of epsom salts and keep it out of the sun tomorrow or partially shelter it from strong sunlight. like just early morning and late evening sun.

i have a few plants that are going through it.

This is an update to show the pictures i now have. In the first pic you can see the white spot that is thin in the middle, almost see through. In the second, what followed after about a week.
SSPX0948.jpg

SSPX0947.jpg

Yes, looks like sun scald. Did you happen to water them during the day when the sun is out??? Pick off those leaves and all will be ok.

Back