• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Why are the leaves so pale?

Hi guys, I've had my plants outside for a month and a bit and I'm finding some of my pepper plants with leave that are slowly getting a very pale green, almost yellowish. I have not been watering them myself because its been raining so much. I picked up the containers and they are pretty heavy so I suspect that they have been getting too much water, but could it also be a lack of nutrients? I had used that Miracle grow organics potting soil. Will strong sun also mean lighter leaves or not really?

The two that seem the palest are my Naga Morich (or maybe a Dorset Naga..not sure) and also some form of habanero plant. It was a mystery seed. They are producing fruit, but not as much since they went outside. They liked it indoor more when they were by the window :(

This is the Naga Morich - or Dorset. Its about 2.5 feet tall.
2.jpg

5.jpg

Here is the hab plant or whatever it really is. Its about the same height but a bit more leafy than the previous plant.
3.jpg

6.jpg

Here is a shot of the whole thing so you can kind of see the difference in leaf colour. Between the different peppers varieties is there a big difference in darkness or lightness or is that mostly environmental? I've got some habs, a Jalapeno, Banana, cayenne, Golden Nugget, Pimento, Hab, Naga Morich and a couple of the ornamental ones.
4.jpg

Oh and lastly, can anyone tell me what this is? All I know is that it was advertised as some kind of ornamental pepper but the fruit looks nothing like what was in the picture. Seeds were from Home Depot.
1.jpg

Thanks everyone, any input will be appreciated.

If the plants in buckets are yellowing and the others in pots are fine, then it could be an over watering issue. Are there drainage holes in the buckets? If not, you need to get some in there right away, especially if the buckets are real heavy. There's probably alot of water sitting down there. For a five gallon bucket, I'd drill four or five 1/2 inch holes in the bottom.

If the plants in buckets are yellowing and the others in pots are fine, then it could be an over watering issue. Are there drainage holes in the buckets? If not, you need to get some in there right away, especially if the buckets are real heavy. There's probably alot of water sitting down there. For a five gallon bucket, I'd drill four or five 1/2 inch holes in the bottom.

I've got about ten or twelve 3/8" holes in the bottom of the 5 gallon buckets. In the smaller containers, I have about 6 or 8 holes of the same diameter. Maybe I just need to be patient and see how they look in a few weeks because there is no rain in the forecast for the next week or so.

with a lot of rain it may have washed out the magnesium in the soil. You might want to try mixing up some epsom salt and doing a foliar feed with it. Too much water is contributing to your yellowing.

The plant looks a bit like a cumari ou passarinho. Hot little buggers. Nice fruity/citrusy flavor with quite a bit of heat in a little package.

Well, if the bucket is still heavy for a long time after rain, you need more drainage. Myabe add more holes or make the existing ones a bit bigger, even up to 3/4 of an inch. You also may have such soil compaction at the bottom of the bucket, that the drainage is all but cut off. I've used Miracle Grow Organic and it does not drain well at all. Gets crusty on top so you think it is dried out, but it is and clumpy and waterlogged on the bottom. (that and other problems).

svtc, If you decide that drainage is not the issue, you might look into purchasing a small bottle of chelated iron. I had a similar instance where approx. 14 of my 130 container plants had yellowing issues. I tried numerous things with time in between to observe. Finally the liquid iron has them darkening up again.

Good luck
Mike

Definitely gotta be from the amount of rain. I've had the same problem. All my plants looked like yours as I got heavy rains and storms every 2 days for 3 weeks. Now that it has cleared the past 3 or 4 days the plants are greening up again.

I think the plant might be a NuMex Centennial. The pods are the same colors as my NuMex Twilight and they are supposed to have the same color changing pattern.

centennial.jpg

I agree with roadhouse, I live pretty close to him and have had the same issue with the rain and pale-colored leaves. The recent new growth is dark green. A foliar epsom salt spray once or twice a week seems to help keep them green as well.

The foliar epsom salt spray is greening up my previously overwatered peppers nicely. 2 applications over 2 weeks and I am getting good results.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and also giving me a clue as to what my ornamental pepper is. I'll do the epsom salt spray a little and see how things go over the next few weeks. I'm glad that it looks like it could just be a bit of over watering and nothign more serious :)

Oh and lastly, can anyone tell me what this is? All I know is that it was advertised as some kind of ornamental pepper but the fruit looks nothing like what was in the picture. Seeds were from Home Depot.
1.jpg

Thanks everyone, any input will be appreciated.

i have this similar kind of ornamental pepper too from a trade. the trader labeled it "cambodian pepper" but of course i searched the internet for the exact name of the pepper and found out that pequin firecracker fits the description of my purchase.:

pequin firecracker

here is my plant:
img1362u.jpg

Back