misc Why are there air bubbles in my sauce?

Hi everyone, I'm new here.  About a year and a half ago I moved to Santiago Chile from California and a few months in started making hot sauce.  I now have a company that is my only source of income.  I have noticed some of my sauce varieties particularly in smaller 90ml bottle have air bubbles until shaken, but when I shake them the quantity of sauce in the bottle looks much lower.  Any advice?

You may be over processing with the blender. Blending too long introduces more air. Try blending less or letting the sauce settle before bottling (you will need to reheat before bottling).

Is there a build up of pressure in the bottle? If so then its producing gas because its fermenting. If not I would guess that, as stated above, its being over blended and to let it sit to let the air escape but to reheat before bottling.

Ive been having this problem as well. Well, I'm not sure if it IS a problem. I follow all the proper techniques of cooking and bottling, but I still have quite a few air bubbles after it's bottled.  I've made plenty of batches without issue.  Is this really something I need to worry about?  

Please explain your process. Are you by any chance blending uncooked tomatoes?

Sometimes this happens when I blender the snot out of some ingredients with the blendtec. I use a whisk and just work the sauce hard to get all the bubbles out before bottling. A slotted spoon can also work.

If it a continuing problem, I would try to isolate the step of the process where it is occurring.

For me, I know it is from the blender. I can put the blendered ingredient into a bowl and work the bubbles out there (at about 2 gallons) as opposed to dumping the frothy stuff into the pot and then trying to work the bubbles out of 10 gallons.

Back