• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Why Bubblegum?

Please excuse my ignorance, but why are bubblegum peppers called bubblegum? I have yet to see a pink one (the color of bubblegum), and I doubt if they taste like bubblegum. So where did the name come from?

If it can help.

Quote from ajdrew pepperbymail website

Its name comes from its color before fully ripening.  Often times it has the color of traditional old world bubblegum.  What is fairly unique about the 7 Pod Bubblegum pepper is that the pod color bleeds into the crown and stem which remains green on most peppers.  Even once the pod has matured into a darker red, the crown and stem tend to linger at that classic bubblegum color.  There are some folk who claim the name comes from its flavor.  Personally I think those of that opinion are just plain nuts.  This is one seriously hot pepper, not something to confuse with a child’s treat.

Thought the one I grew this year had a tremendously colorful flavor. Maybe not bubblegum but I could see the compairison. The most colorful and vividly tasting superhots I've had. I thought for sure it was because of the taste.

Back