• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Why do my tobascos like to pop out of the calyx

HotPeppas

Banned
i know i shouldnt be tugging on them to get it off but when i do they love to pop right out. No other of my peppers do this. I mean most of the ones i do it to arnt even fully red yet there still at the dark orange stage

A lot of other types do it also. Sometimes I get frustrated snipping them off and I just start pulling them. I notice a lot of varieties that do this also turn mushy as soon as they get 100% ripe.

My Tabasco pods are the only ones to ever do this and I attributed it to how wet the pods are inside. I have had one off pods on other plants do this but 99% of the Tabasco pods did this. You can squeeze juice from these things with ease!

Same here with my tabasco's. Like previously stated, I grab some scissors and snip them to get them off of the plant. Also, just so i have a few more days before they get mushy I pick them when they just turn orangish. You can put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the fridge to get more time too.

^ That. Tabascos have thin skin with a high moisture content between the skin and the rest of the flesh.
Yep, all my Thai chillies do that too. Thin skinned, lots of seed, dry out quickly. Need to harvest with scissors

:confused:

I should really just google "calyx" to figure out what this topic is about, but I'm not sure I'm ready to do that just yet.
The green cap/shroud on the end of the stem. That stays on the plant and the bare pod falls/pulls off too easily

Oh yeah, this is very typical of ripe Tobasco peppers! Makes picking them much easier. Boy are they prolfic and I'm glad they just slide out, lol. My Thai Dragons and African bird's eyes are the worst to harvest since they are small, bountiful, and don't pull out of their calyxes.

Back