• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat Why Does Dry Spice Lose It's Heat When Mixed With Franks Red Hot?

Greetings,

So I bought some very hot chili powder with the hope that it would make Franks Red Hot - much hotter, but it seems that mixing the chili powder with Franks, kills the heat of the dry spice.

To clarify - the chili powder is indeed hot when I just put a little on a spoon and eat it, but it's not really making Franks any hotter.
Yes this is for Buffalo Wings - does the butter also impact the heat of the dry spice?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

salsalady said:
OOOoo!  I like that song!  
xoxo Boss~ 

(pssst...how to hijack a thread without appearing to?....years of practice.... ;)...   :rofl:...)

(( kinda like JayT's microwave hotdog expertice...How does he do that????))

Anyway, back on topic... the butter should help release the heat of whatever dried chile powder is added to the wing sauce.  Ghost chiles are rated in the 800,000-1,000,000 range.  A tiny bit will heat up the Franks sauce quite a bit as JeffH noted.   All the other chiles I mentioned are in that same heat range, but have different flavor profiles than the bhut. 

It seems to me the bhuts have a smoky flavor which is why I suggested some of the other superhot chiles which have a flavor I think would work better with the Franks sauce flavor. 

If I find that a 500,000 scoville level is more or less as far as I can go to still be able to enjoy the wings, what would you recommend as a step down from the ghost chili powder and that also compliments Franks and the butter.

Thanks!

Freewheeler said:

If I find that a 500,000 scoville level is more or less as far as I can go to still be able to enjoy the wings, what would you recommend as a step down from the ghost chili powder and that also compliments Franks and the butter.

Thanks!

You're confused by the marketing. no one offers 500,000 wings. No one could eat it. Just adding a habanero does not magically make a sauce 2-300,000shu.

Just for kicks, toss a wing or two in Franks. Toss a wing or two in Blair's original death sauce.

Eat both. That is the difference between a 450 shu sauce and a 30,000 one. Now, toss a wing or two in Blair's Mega death sauce. That there is around a half million and I doubt you can eat one.<yucky extract taste aside>

A little bit of ghost will heat up Franks, but it won't turn into a million shu until it is pure ghost powder. Anything you add dilutes the heat.

Jeff H said:

You're confused by the marketing. no one offers 500,000 wings. No one could eat it. Just adding a habanero does not magically make a sauce 2-300,000shu.

Just for kicks, toss a wing or two in Franks. Toss a wing or two in Blair's original death sauce.

Eat both. That is the difference between a 450 shu sauce and a 30,000 one. Now, toss a wing or two in Blair's Mega death sauce. That there is around a half million and I doubt you can eat one.<yucky extract taste aside>

A little bit of ghost will heat up Franks, but it won't turn into a million shu until it is pure ghost powder. Anything you add dilutes the heat.

I am new to this whole scoville thing, so I am still learning.

So you are saying that the Duffs scoville units that I posted is marketing bullshit and Death listed at 500,000 scovilles would not be accurate if someone actually tested it? I assumed Duffs mixed Franks with another much hotter sauce and additional dry spices to get to 500,000.

Duff_Chart.jpg

If I add a tablespoon of ghost pepper powder to the Franks let's say - what kind of heat level would I be looking at more or less after the heat is reduced due to the cooking?

Thanks!

Jeff H said:

Anything you add dilutes the heat.
EXACTLY! 

The bhuts or scorpion chiles may be 1 million by themselves, but if you add 1/4 teaspoon to 2 cups of sauce, the sauce does not become 1 mil SHU. 

Marketing things say "made with 1 mil SHU BHUTS" or "contains 2mil Carolina Reapers"  ...but if the sauce/product contains 2 ounces per gallon of 2mil SHU Carolina Reapers...... the product is NOT 2 mil shu. 

in order for the Duff's sauce to be 850,000 SHU, it would have to be 90% extract.  Extract has a distictive taste which is not pleasant.  Several of us THP chileheads did a WingDome 7-Alarm challenge a few years ago and we ALL said the sauce contained extract.
PS- there are tests that can be done to determine the SHU of chiles, sauces, etc.  I'd encourage all chileheads who go to these places claiming to have these extreme levels of SHU to ask for proof!  If the sauce they are serving hasn't been SHU tested to be that SHU, they shouldn't be advertising it is such an SHU. 

As far as the 850,000 SHU armageddon sauce goes....

To achieve that SHU it would have to be-
85% (some kind of 1mil plus chile like a scorpion, etc) 15% other ingredients
85% extract (which tastes like motor oil) and 15%  Their Basic Sauce.

I DOUBT they are using that much extract, no customer could handle that.  They are probably adding a few drops of extract to their basic sauce and calling it Armageddon.  Again, unless they have had it SHU tested, they are blowing smoke.

The Hot Pepper said:
Just try it man. What is it $5? The only way to know is try. You're not buying a car, it's a cheap spice.

Sorry - I thought that I was on a forum where we shoot the shit about hot sauces and spices and you know...get feedback from people who have already experienced these things. :cool:

Yes but the only true way to know is to try. Kind of like asking what a banana tastes like. There's a really fast way to find out. ;)

You said your store has it. I would just pick it up.

Maybe someone can chime in with what a SB tastes like, if that's what you are looking for.

PS. Search Scotch Bonnet on this forum. You'll see a lot of different opinions on it. Many different varieties etc. Just try that powder. Yes, it is pretty hot, just not super hot.

I don't really like habanero ... but I love SB ...

Habanero was a gateway to hot for me, but once I found other peppers, I can't stand it any longer TBH ...

I like TS varieties (Butch T's and Reaper's) in that citrusy-sweet slot now, and I like Naga M's and SB's when I want grittier heat ...

Just to show you a different opinion; I'm not real wild about either the Hab or the SB, although the SB is tons better. I do grow use a lot of SBs in jerk seasoning, but the other flavors tone down the chinense flavor, but you would never catch me eating one straight. Just don't like the flavor. That is the reason I am so partial to the nagas. They don't have that citrus chinense flavor.

Different strokes...

The others are right. You just have to try them. It took me a good year or more after joining this forum to figure out which ones I liked and which ones I didn't like.

As has been mentioned; trying things is really the only way to discover for yourself what your a) tastes are and b) heat tolerance.  You can improve your heat tolerance and educate your palate as you try more/new things.  

Definitely get that scotch bonnet powder and use it to bump the heat on the Franks - and I'd also suggest ordering a couple sauces from some of our great vendors.  :)

Would it be better to just melt the butter, but don't heat any hot sauces or spices as well together to help retain the heat of the sauces/spice? I saw a recipe where they just melt the butter - let it cool a bit and then add the hot sauces like Franks right from the bottle. Apparently this also thickens the sauce as room temperature or cold sauce will create an emulsion.

I am just curious though if not heating the sauce will maintain most of the spice even when mixed with butter.

Freewheeler said:
Would it be better to just melt the butter, but don't heat any hot sauces or spices as well together to help retain the heat of the sauces/spice? I saw a recipe where they just melt the butter - let it cool a bit and then add the hot sauces like Franks right from the bottle. Apparently this also thickens the sauce as room temperature or cold sauce will create an emulsion.

I am just curious though if not heating the sauce will maintain most of the spice even when mixed with butter.

You're overthinking it brother.  You're going to need to heat anything with powder/flakes just so you can release the oils and flavor the dish.  Throw that shit together and blast it on the wings.  Bonus points for throwing the newly sauced wings back on the grill for a minute to dry em just a bit before service.  Note: if you really want to 'experience' the powder dust a wing right after it comes off the grill.  ;)

Back