• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Why I Fell in Love with THP....

You know, I have started and stopped this about a half dozen times. I thought to myself, who cares? What's the point? It's not the same place I signed up for... But, each time I log on here and see the crap that is becoming of this community, there is a glimmer of hope from someone who really cares.

In the summer of 2011, I commented on someone's growing thread. Back then, there wasn't a separate area for logs, it was all mixed in with the growing threads. I remember exactly what I said, it was in regards to his massive TS Yellow, and I commented about how his pepper had the amazing color of a lemon. Within 20 minutes there was a message in my box (still new to the site and was excited about "pepper-mail") simply asking for my "addy". This term, weird at first, would become one of the most used words in my pepper vocabulary.

Less than a week later I received a box in the mail. With more anticipation and excitement than I have ever felt for a parcel, I tore the box open to see 4 golf ball sized peppers, beautifully yellow, just like the grower's pictures. Determined, that night I read all about how to prepare my stomach and got ready to do one of those "pepper reviews" that I have seen a few guys doing. Back then, when I searched pepper reviews, there were only a few reviewers that popped up, Mike (Beaglestorm), Neil at THSC, and few other onsies and twosies. With what seemed like hours of time logged on youtube, I was ready. Cut the pepper, pull the seeds, and toss it back. Within a minute, I realized that no amount of videos could have ever prepared me for what I was doing. Heat, check. Pain, check. Tears, sweat, and runny nose, check. I was hooked.

Within a month of joining this place, I knew it was different from the rest. The people....were....just different. They gave things away that I normally had to pay for. They asked about how things were going in my life and seemed generally concerned when things weren't doin too hot, EVEN when it had nothing to do with peppers. I can't tell you how many times my wife questioned if I wanted to marry this site...if it were just possible.... :)

I have met the nicest people I have ever known here, people that message me when I haven't been on for a while, people who call when I am sick, and people who, when the world is going through craziness, can put it all aside for a common hobby. So when I am seeing this place getting flooded with self promotion, arguments, and just general gimme gimme attitude, it is more than frustrating. When I was a new member (probably under 50 posts), I posted a quote in the Completely Random thread. This quote was from the HBO show Eastbound and Down. It was more than vulgar. Within 10 minutes of posting, I had a member (who had been around for much longer), PM me and set me straight. I was just a punk kid and thought that I could say and do whatever I wanted on this site. He made it clear that this place was different; and kids, guests, and a ton of other people are popping in here and my words, although what I thought were funny, probably shouldn't have been posted.

That is what the THP was. That is what I signed up for. Now, it is turning into every other forum out there. It is no surprise, the vast majority of people do not have the ability to debate a topic without throwing crap at each other. The off topic threads are full of promotion. New members, like, under 10 posts, are flooding the marketplace with GIMMEE GIMMEE threads (Obviously never reading Scovies Etiquette thread). Members are taunting mods, and mods are doing nothing about it. Rules are getting broken, blatantly, and the threads stay open. If you start a post with "mods do what you like", that post doesn't belong here. What the hell happened to the place that was different? What happened to people actually coming together to talk about and help each other grow peppers and other stuff??

Don't get me wrong, there are still a core of GREAT people here, but I FEAR that days of those people joining and staying are limited. What happens when a guest navigates to a "hot" topic to see nothing but hate spewed at each other? I saw the term "flame" for the first time in almost 3000 posts this week. That in itself tells me the rest of the web as infected this place.

I could care less about peppers, I am here because of the people. I enjoy hot stuff, but the people are what got me hooked. Giving, caring, and sharing attitudes are just not what you expect from the web. When I have a big harvest, I send over some peppers to the people that got me where I am, and then find someone who is new and never asked for anything, just like that grower did with me. But those days of people not asking for everything are getting thin. It seems like the natural progression is either, join, ask for free peppers and seeds, or, join, ask for everyone to follow your youtube channel, or join, go into the hot talk threads and argue with everyone.

For all the growers out there that helped me along the way, thank you. For all the people out there that care about this community and give instead of take, thank you. For all people here that came for the love of everything hot, but stuck around for the community, thank you.

Hopefully this blows over, if not, you can find me in the growing threads.
Matt

Damn, Matt, what an inspiring and thought-provoking thread! I've only been on THP for a year now, but even in that short time, I have also noticed a bit more of the hubbub lately, with many people spamming me asking for stuff. I've cringed, but had to tell people that I don't simply throw stuff at people all the time. I try to "profile" to a certain extent, or "screen" people who seem like they have integrity and then I will ship them some stuff. I like sharing the heat, but I am apprehensive when people just duck in and ask, many of which take off after less than a year.

Lines are blurred in regards to the YouTube crowd, of which you and I are also a part, but I see what you mean about the Gone-With-The-Wind posters of less than 50 posts who always ask for stuff, saying "I need peppers for review on YouTube". I did sign up for offers last year, and asked for stuff, but thanks to Mike (BeagleStorm) being a nice guy and giving me the heads up, I was humbled within my first week, and committed to be generous and stick around on the forums, not just asking for handouts. I also tried to be one of the "gimmes" with Ed (naganumbness/nagacanario), and then decided, after initially asking for pods, to instead chat with him, watch his videos, leave comments, and just befriend a fellow chilihead instead of bugging for a handout from someone who puts a lot of work into growing what they love, especially considering it from their standpoint, which I am now on as a Harvester of Heat, when a stranger asks me for stuff for free.

Hey Matt glad you still love the site even though you feel it has changed but that comes with growth. Stick around and use the ignore button to your advantage and the staff will do their best to make sure it stays the place you love.

First, Matt, I'd like to thank you for your service and wish you luck on your upcoming deployment. My father was in the corp back in the seventies and taught me respect and gratitude for men and women such as yourself.

Secondly, I'm a noob and have never read Scovie's etiquette thread. I just searched for it, can't find it. I'd love to know if I've been wiping my nose on the wrong tablecloth. Somebody shoot me a link or tell me where to look.

Thirdly, I came here in April of this year searching for info on how to start a pepper seed, but quickly found the first community I'd felt at home in since leaving college ten years ago. The generosity here is staggering. The openness and tolerance has been unbelievable. As with any garden, there will always be the occasional weed trying to stake a claim, but over all, it's still as beautiful as when I found it five months ago. I hope it stays so long into the future, and I plan to do my part, whatever that is, to keep it that way.

thank you MAtt! well written, and i feel the same as you. i do my best to avoid the drama ridden threads and stick to the few good ones and check in from time to time on certains people's glogs. and i am still waiting on your "addy" :dance:

Thanks for the post Matt, I'd like to say my thanks to everyone out there in THP land for being so awesome too. This really is a wonderful place to learn and grow.

mgold, thanks for your sentiments. They reflect those of many here on THP, and knowing that one person can ruin a thread.......

It's helped me to be clear and concise when posting a new topic, and then take control of the topic and if something isn't relevant, say so! I heard something recently, and maybe it should become a SigLine, so anyone who wants to, use it....

"you made your point, now go away..."

THP is WAYYYY more than trolls. Troll management is an ongoing learning process, and those who know the true spirit of the site can spot a troll a mile away. I don't visit all the forums and usually miss out on all the troll alert signals that others hone in on and kicktothecurb.

longlivethemodslonglivethemodslonglivethemods..... :cheers:

If anyone wants to PM me who the trolls are, it would help. There is 0 tolerance here on trolls, and if the same name keeps popping up in the PMs sent the troll will be banned.

Unfortunately I don't have time to read discussions like you guys so I don't know.

+10 about letting the mods know what's going on. They can't read EVERYTHING! 99.9% of THP members are cool but there's always the fringe elements.

Matt... I suggest doing things like Pete's Pirate(no idea what that is haha).Best way to inspire is by example. Seems that yellow scorp guy is who made you a productive member here,correct?I have done similar giveaways and always makes me feel better. I have contracted some parasites doing it ,but they get ignored.This definitely is a growth issue. Just like my job and small towns in my area, people feel entitled now adays....to opinions or pay checks,free things, the right away at stop signs!! It is going on with all ages these days,not just young punks. I have an older co-worker/mentor at work who keeps me leveled out. I used to say to him "That guy is 50+ years old...when is he going to learn?" Well some people learn about life at 16,some at 60,and some never do! Who gets banned on a hot food/pepper site??????????????????? I guess everyones bottom is different. I love when someone says "He is just outspoken" or "He is just an a**hole at work,outside of here he is a great guy". That always made my brain come to a screeching halt. We have to keep doing what is right for this community,and report the hambones. There are still fantastic folks here,and more joining daily!

I'm with you Matt 100%. You have a great way with your words.

I think there is a certain feeling of anonymity with internet forums. People feel safe behaving badly on them from the privacy of their own home just to click away spew. They would never behave that way face to face with anyone. That, and the want to feel "apart of" immediately. All just my observations. The ignore button is your friend for "those people" who just bug you, (not YOU personally Matt).
The report button works well too. It is our job as older members to help out the Mods and "guide" the newer spew flingers. LOL
Thanks Matt. And be safe over there.

FWIW... http://thehotpepper.com/topic/25120-hello-new-people/

I just want to say Amen Matt, everything I wound say has already been said so there is no need to repeat except to say,

WHAT THEY SAID!

Thanks for posting this Matt. I'm glad you really went through with it.
I think you are an asset to this forum even though I never got to know you very well. The simple reason was that while there is gold (pun intended) in the growing forums, I'm in OZ, so when things are busy there it's quiet here and vice versa, so I stuck to novas OZ thread mostly while I've been here.
I agree with you on how the forum seems somehow different to last year, (the amount of bans alone verify that).
I used a lot of my free time reading old threads to get a feel of the place even before I posted anything! So I don't really have much to ask and any grow threads would be quiet while you are all in winter.

But just posting because your thread deserved a half decent reply (you've always been able to produce great posts), and I wish you all the best!

Aw yeah feeling the love in this one... well said dude.

I love this forum too. I don't have time to go through all the glogs and post as much as I did when I first found it. I have my content bookmarked, then I'll have a look at other stuff when I get a moment and post a comment if I want to see it again.

There's a lot of quality people here, but I recently waded into a pissfight naively thinking people were actually debating an issue. It seems it has changed. Going to have to pick and choose what to engage with more carefully.

Matt... I suggest doing things like Pete's Pirate(no idea what that is haha).Best way to inspire is by example. Seems that yellow scorp guy is who made you a productive member here,correct?I have done similar giveaways and always makes me feel better. I have contracted some parasites doing it ,but they get ignored.This definitely is a growth issue. Just like my job and small towns in my area, people feel entitled now adays....to opinions or pay checks,free things, the right away at stop signs!! It is going on with all ages these days,not just young punks. I have an older co-worker/mentor at work who keeps me leveled out. I used to say to him "That guy is 50+ years old...when is he going to learn?" Well some people learn about life at 16,some at 60,and some never do! Who gets banned on a hot food/pepper site??????????????????? I guess everyones bottom is different. I love when someone says "He is just outspoken" or "He is just an a**hole at work,outside of here he is a great guy". That always made my brain come to a screeching halt. We have to keep doing what is right for this community,and report the hambones. There are still fantastic folks here,and more joining daily!
On another thread you said chilli growing has got you through difficult times. For me that is also the case but I didn't want to comment on your post in that thread either, but I'd like to say it here.
Thanks, this is getting me through very difficult and rough times too. I love the lovers, hate people trying to ruin this place in whatever way they can come up with, it doesn't matter.

Back