Why Superhot chilies?

As you can see I am new here, so please excuse the newby questions .
I see myself as a hobbyist chili grower and adventurist cook .
I love chilies in all forms , fresh, stuffed , smoked , sauces etc.
My first superhot seeds are being delivered today.!!

here are the questions.
- what is driving the pursuit of superhot chilies?
- Is it hobbyist like me?
- Is there a commercial need ? Do farmers need Superhots on a big scale?
- Is it the adventure of going beyond what was thought possible?

Please enlighten me.
Looking forward to your answers.

For me personally, it is just amusing to have someone cocky who claims to be able to eat hot peppers and then bring them crying to their knees.

The little woman likes to garden. I had no desire to grow lettuce. So to join in her hobby I needed something that interested me, and awesome looking pepper pods peaked my interest.

Those are the 2 reasons I started growing them, now I powder them, cross them, eat them.. I assume there are a large number of reasons people start growing super hots.

My initial start into it was I garden the normal types of vegetable and peppers which was basically whatever was sold at Lowes by Bonnie. One day i asked myself what is the hottest pepper in the world? I want to grow something exotic. So i got on google for the worlds hottest peppers and I saw an add on Amazon.... (yup we all know where this is going). So I bought what I thought was at the time trinidad scorpion, 7 pot primo, cajin bell, and scotch bonnet seed which all turned out to be bogus. I then started googling the types of peppers I thought I purchased and started reading a lot of articles on this website and it is a wealth of knowledge so I signed up and bookmarked it so I wouldn't forget about it. Been here ever since. I have discovered all these peppers have unique flavours and provide alot of heat which has been very fun to try and learn how to cook with.

karoo said:
- what is driving the pursuit of superhot chilies?
- Is it hobbyist like me?
- Is there a commercial need ? Do farmers need Superhots on a big scale?
- Is it the adventure of going beyond what was thought possible?

First reason is the taste.. they just taste better than tabasco or cayenne. Much more fruity and concentrated aroma. 
Second reason is the 'kick'. They can bite really well. I can spice up almost everything with one or two super-hot peppers, without adding 30 cayenne peppers and ruining the flavor of my cheesecake. :)

Commercial need is growing. More and more people consider Tabasco and Sriracha sauces mild. 

But my biggest drive for superhots is the sense of 'premium' you get while cooking with them. When you start playing with them you will understand what i'm talking about.

I also think the flavour did it. I didn't like tabasco (tastes kind of like vinegar gone bad ;) ), but one day I got pure naga sauce with my king size pizza in local pizza place. I knew it will be hot, but I've had no idea it will taste fantastic as well. After that you kind of experiment, you get to know the different flavours, increase your heat tolerance a bit and search for new, better varieties. 

Back