• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Wife and I are looking at buying a house. Don’t know if I should bother trying to grow, this year.

I am kind of late starting my seeds off this year because my wife and I have been busy so far in 2020. We found out in November that shes pregnant with twins, and though weve been thinking about moving for a few years, we definitely have to get out of this duplex before August comes around.

My thoughts are, if I try to start some plants this year (I had 23 5 gallon pots on my porch last season), will they be able to move with us without killing them? Is it worth the hassle and time investment? I mean, if we had found a house already sure, but were still looking for the right one.

Plus by the time were moved in, and the kids (yes, two) are here, am I even going to have time to take care of the plants? Ill probably be too busy watching the kids.

Idk. Any advice from parents or homeowners? Going to check both those boxes for the first time this year, thinking I should just save my seeds until 2021.

+1 Satan Claus

Maybe just grow 4-5 of your favorites in small,
say 3-gallon, pots. Then it would be easier to
control their path through the move.

And you'd get some pods  :party:

Congrats! I am in a similar circumstance myself and have been contemplating what to do. I have 3 kids (5,3,7months) and we are needing a larger house this spring/summer. For what its worth, I have decided to grow solely in 3 gallon pots this year for ease of transportation. I am going to do 120 plants.... not sure I recommend this!!! I will likely regret this big time, but I am addicted. I think that youll be able to do it without much problem, but might want to limit it to 5-10  potted plants. I feel like that'd be easy to manage with the whole move and sleepless months phase ;) 

Congrats, I just close on my this past 9/11/19, and i am doing like 10-15 plants on my patio and that's it. Something small, and producers.

Congrats!
I am for too. Small scale, small pots means small investment and hassle. If you feel overloaded at a time, let them be, they will be happy for a while if not much care for them. I mean, the peppers. And probably you can find somebody to pass them if get in a critical stage with time.

I have twins, they'll be 13 tomorrow. Twins can be very time consuming especially during the first several months, and super duper especially if they're on different feeding schedules.... But there is always down time.

When my wife was pregnant and we're were having our first child it seemed like all the parents that went thru having kids tried to make it seem terrifying and scary. That you would never get any sleep and you would walk around like a zombie. It aint all that bad, and you will still have time to do the things you love, but i'd still scale back and not go massive.

I would plant some, and go 5 gallon. Give them away if you have to. But just in case... you have some. I don’t have twins, but have a lot of kids, and you will still have some time for a few plants. Or just say f it and grab some stuff from a nursery if you don’t wanna deal with seed starting.

It is way easier said than done, but take your time looking for a house. I wish I would have. Also- congrats man!

First of all, Congratulations!
I was in a similar situation last year (minus the newborns) and knew I would be moving in the middle of June 2019. I ended up using 2 Gallon pots (realizing that I would get reduced outputs) as they were much easier to move than 5 gallon buckets/pots. I had tons of varieties so I figured even with the reduced output, I would be fine. What will probably play an important factor is how far away you are moving. I was moving less than 30 mins away, so I just made multiple trips until I carried them all to the new home. I didn't lose any plants by moving them and ended up with plenty of peppers during the season. I hope this helps and if you want details on the setup I used or have any specific questions about my experiences last year, don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to help.

When we sold our house in 2016 I had tons of plants in containers.  I shoved them all into my Ford Fiesta and transported them.  They were fine.

Back