• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wifi web cam

I was playing around last summer with my bees and set up an my phone to serve as a wifi webcam to watch them inside the hive.  I am not affiliated whatsoever.  If you dl IP Webcam app to your phone and type in the IP address it gives on any device you will have a live webcam within wifi range.  It runs battery down but I thought it was cool.  The IP changes with router since it isn't a static IP which is kind of a pain.  There are probably easier ways without cord but it was free and easy. 

Here is a quick vid of my GH

JoynersHotPeppers said:
It won't work since that is an internal IP. :) I did not click it but know better regardless.

Explain?  Is it safe to set this up so the woman and I can check on plants while at work?  I could set the thermometer up in front of cam to check temps. 

Rairdog said:

Explain?  Is it safe to set this up so the woman and I can check on plants while at work?  I could set the thermometer up in front of cam to check temps. 
The link you posted is an internal IP for just you and your wi-fi

You could also use free software called DCAM Server to stream video - by default it builds a basic HTML page you can access locally or open it to external if you forward your port 80 (or change port for extra security).

I mucked around with it and managed to display my greenhouse temperature as part of it (separate function of a USB temp sensor, I pushed the graph readout as an iframe) so when I'm at work I can log in and have a look.

At the moment the video is captured by the built in crappy webcam which is why the feed is so crappy (this laptop is pretty old so I don't mind keeping it in the garage as a remote client), but will get a decent webcam sometime so I can see more than just a small part of the greenhouse.

temp.png

SentencedToBurn said:
You could also use free software called DCAM Server to stream video - by default it builds a basic HTML page you can access locally or open it to external if you forward your port 80 (or change port for extra security).

I mucked around with it and managed to display my greenhouse temperature as part of it (separate function of a USB temp sensor, I pushed the graph readout as an iframe) so when I'm at work I can log in and have a look.

At the moment the video is captured by the built in crappy webcam which is why the feed is so crappy (this laptop is pretty old so I don't mind keeping it in the garage as a remote client), but will get a decent webcam sometime so I can see more than just a small part of the greenhouse.

temp.png

That pretty cool.  I was avoiding being tied to a laptop.  Lot of AP guys are building adrino's to monitor fish tank temp, ph etc...  I will be getting a new phone and was gonna use the old one to set up an IP cam with an external battery.  Then I could move it to the garden, fish tank, GH and other silly crap.  They are starting to come out with wifi thermometers and meat probes.   

Oh yeah you can use a phone or RPi easy, I just had this laptop sitting here gathering dust, so might as well put it to good use. Plus USB peripherals are dirt cheap which makes the whole thing very cost effective. Ideally ofcourse you'd want a ROM'd android phone and then you're free to do whatever you want.

Playing with the wifi cam and bird feeders.  Excuse my fixer upper next door lol...I need to get on that POS.  You can also do snapshots with the wifi cam.  Here are a couple woodpeckers.  I need to come up with a better mount.  The phone is a ft away from feeders but the wind blows it around since it is suspended.

Quick vid of woodpecker and ficnches

https://youtu.be/_0aVhlujHxE

Back