• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Wild Crosses

What is out there in terms of wilds that have been crossed with perhaps superhots or habaneros or any other variety? Anyone have any cool crosses out there?

Here's two I've made with a bhut jolokia,

bhut jolokia x Bradley's Bahamian (wild frutescens) F1:

and CAP 691 (wild chinense) x bhut jolokia F1:

The Bradley's cross is  hotter with maybe with a more interesting taste and the CAP 691 cross is a little more productive and (surprisingly) earlier.  Already have a bunch of F2 CAP 691 x bhut plants growing.

- Tick

Thanks wildseed57, Cathy and lemming!

Unfortunately, both of the above plants are now dead or near dead (life got a little busier right when it was time to prepare to overwinter).  Fortunately, I have smaller backup sibling plants for each of the above crosses that I'll try to keep going.  I also had 30+  F2 Cap 691 x Bhuts in one big pot, but they received too little light for too long among the mess of plants I brought inside this fall - all dead except 1 tough survivor.  I'm finally getting more organized for the 2015 grow and now I have to figure how many new F2s of both crosses to start for next year.......

- Tick

Back