• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wild, Indeed, Community Thread

Just getting this started so I can get a url.
I will post more about this in a couple of days.
duck6.jpg

Happy New Year, 2021!

Last edited:
Ditto that, Tybo! Good on ya!

Anyone interested can check out
my list on pg. 1 and request. Maybe you
could post a list of what you have available,
it that's not too much trouble.

Your list is coming along nicely...PM me your address & I'll send you the Galap & Rhomboideum...seeds.
.There has been some debate r/t classification as a wild or not. a while back..it's old name was  Capsicum Ciliatum..& sometimes still
referred to as that.It's a great looking plant.lovely leaves & a flower to gush over :P along with it's berry like pods which hang in neat clusters.
Heat per scoville scale .......a remarkable 0... :cool:

C_Rhombo_Collage.jpg

Mr.joe said:
I'm still learning to grow the basics, I'm not ready to dive into the wilds. I'll stop in once in a while to make sure you guys are not messing up.
I think some Pequin or Chiltepin varieties would
be a good place to start, especially where you live.
Chacoenses are not too difficult, if I can grow them :rofl:
They grow pretty well even in the PNW climate.

wiriwiri said:
Your list is coming along nicely...PM me your address & I'll send you the Galap & Rhomboideum...seeds.
.There has been some debate r/t classification as a wild or not. a while back..it's old name was  Capsicum Ciliatum..& sometimes still
referred to as that.It's a great looking plant.lovely leaves & a flower to gush over :P along with it's berry like pods which hang in neat clusters.
Heat per scoville scale .......a remarkable 0... :cool:
Thank you very much, Sandy. And for the description!
PM coming your way...

I have been wanting to grow both of them again  for
quite awhile, now. Sorry I ever lost track of the seeds.
Time to juggle the grow list again!

I wonder if the various accessions 
can even be considered wild, especially a couple of
generations after release. That's a big reason I'm
really psyched to grow Pepper Guru's Cumari's, Leo72's
wild collected Cumari's, and Devv's wild-collected
c. annuum v Glabriusculum! I'm pretty sure it's a red Chiltepin
type. And your Wiri-Wiri via CD, as well and his lanceolatum.

Really nice photos. Thanks for posting them.
Love the soft, fuzzy foliage. I suppose both like
to grow in sun w/ partial shade? I guess it's good
we're not into it for the heat, huh  :lol:

Glad to help a good cause...now the Rhomboideum grew in full sun..but my summer sun is not Texas or Florida sun...or maybe I should say it's similar
to March or April sun in those places..not 90/100F killer weather so some adjustments may have to be made...I think we share similar weather Paul
so base your plants on your specific weather ...that's a good reason to have more than 1 plant..you can play around with the temps.

Grew my galapagoense using my Aerogarden then....a tragic thing happened and I finished them outside  for the last part of summer on the
front porch which gets morning sun & even then I sheltered them a bit...the plant does not like too much heat ~ 80F is ok IMO...the leaves will look
drained if I recall from prior yrs...it's a finicky plant..if you have indoor lights use it if you can....they like a stable & steady environment..AFAIK.
I can say that the main thing with inside versus outside light...the yield was greater by far.. all the unripened pods remained intact & ripened
despite the relocation...I presume b/c most of the pods were well developed...whatever it worked.....but how I miss my AG..maybe with my
get rich scheme I can replace it...darn. :shocked:

I saw fatalli.net selling galap seeds for 19.9 euros and he was out of stock...so that was 24.3 USD...hey a get rich plan for  '21...have to figure out
how rich I plan on getting & get those seeds going...have 5 plants as we speak...5 more plants =10 x100 seeds each @least ..ok where's my calculator :D

You probably just fried your calculator, Sandy   :rofl:
I saw the same add. I need to see if he lists a
source.

Great information - very  helpful, indeed. What do
you think off the idea of growing them in small pots
rather than large containers. I'm thinking of either #2
(1.5 gal.), or actual 2-gallon pots  :think:

I think you are right about climate. We are just a hop,
skip and jump north of the 45N latitude line. 

I thought Jukka only sold what he grew??? Interesting he has no g seeds...so folks do pay that premium for Galap seeds...when not too
far away Semillas has them for a lot less...pays to do price comparison...and Semillas seeds always have high  germination rate.

I have my galap plants in small pots ...less than a gallon size...2 are in the qt size chinese soup plastic containers  and they
were very productive,maybe the broth had some influence... :rofl: so how cheap was I..well the reason for doing that is b/c 
I wanted to see the roots and even thou' I have hundreds of pots those were the only see-thru ones on hand...worked..
it's not a tall plant so a gallon pot is plenty big....also try to not over water,roots are a bit  delicate...Jukka has a good write up
on this plant & it's on his site...good stuff.

Wow, interesting that you used such small pots.
I may go with a #2 or smaller pot. I have some 2-liter
square pots that might work.

wiriwiri said:
I thought Jukka only sold what he grew??? Interesting he has no g seeds...so folks do pay that premium for Galap seeds...when not too
far away Semillas has them for a lot less...pays to do price comparison...and Semillas seeds always have high  germination rate.

I have my galap plants in small pots ...less than a gallon size...2 are in the qt size chinese soup plastic containers  and they
were very productive,maybe the broth had some influence... :rofl: so how cheap was I..well the reason for doing that is b/c 
I wanted to see the roots and even thou' I have hundreds of pots those were the only see-thru ones on hand...worked..
it's not a tall plant so a gallon pot is plenty big....also try to not over water,roots are a bit  delicate...Jukka has a good write up
on this plant & it's on his site...good stuff.

I also heard that the galapagoense didnt like to have its roots too wet and actually absorbed moisture from the humidity/fog, hence the fuzziness.  However, the plant I grew last season in the 5 gallon bucket was kept outside where it got hammered with thunderstorms and rainstorms and it grew just fine.  A little more than 3 feet tall if I remember correctly.  Maybe the potting mixture allowed it to drain well enough not to cause any harm.  It was loaded with fruit too.  The problem was that except for 1 or 2 here and there, the fruit didnt ripen before the end of season.
The bad news is that I killed the plant.  I cut it back to overwinter it and it never recovered.  I guess I trimmed too much. :rolleyes:  
Here is a pic from last seasons glog before I did the trimming:
post-15072-0-87127200-1602247659_thumb.jpeg
You can see it is loaded with pods if you zoom in.

Heck of a plant, Ty. 

What latitude are you at?

PaulG said:
Heck of a plant, Ty. 

What latitude are you at?

It was a nice plant.  Im at 37 degrees latitude.
CaneDog said:
That's a bummer, Tybo.  It was an awesome plant and I was looking forward to seeing how it did in round 2.

Yeah I was really disappointed about losing it and not only it but my bonchi datil never came back this time.  I didnt trim it back as much as last year so Im confused as to why they didnt survive.

Wiri wiri sounds like it had larger pods - is this the case? If so, I'd like to give it a go.

Siv said:
Wiri wiri sounds like it had larger pods - is this the case? If so, I'd like to give it a go.
The Wiri-Wiri, Yellow Jellybean and Red fire were
all c. chinenses, and had relatively large pods. 
Pic here. All OP

My USDA c. cardenasii (perhaps a cross) had
larger sized pods, as well. Pic here. OP as well.

Here's a photo of a variety of pods for comparison.

I have posted this in my grow logs before.

Inferno Chili (Finnish site with photos by Jukka)
written in 2006. Best info on capsicum species
I've found yet.

https://www.infernochili.net/?page=villichilit

Does anyone know if it has been updated?
Would be cool to find another source as
comprehensive as this. The link at the bottom
to their forums is no longer valid.

The C.cardenasii you linked is definitely a hybrid or "rocopica".  ;) It's very common when growing eximium,cardenasii and C.pubescens in close proximity. Good news is that the seeds are fairly common now and even sold by vendors. 

A few years ago I would have been all over this thread. I could have added a couple accessions but I don't grow many anymore and haven't saved seeds in years. All my stock is probably of very poor quality. The link you provided has a lot of good information and below I will post another one that is pretty good as well. Be patient as it's alittle harder to navigate but it translates well to english. And there are photos for all but a small handful of the 43 or so true undomesticated species.

https://www.pepperfriends.org/dbpf/dbpf.asp

Back