seeds Will Frozen Seeds Grow?

Anyone know an answer to this? I have to freeze pods ASAP because they are turning but I want the seeds. I just don't have the time right now to deseed them all.

I have heard that freezing your seeds will kill them. But doesn't the global seed vault freeze theirs?

Also something interesting from wiki: (Seeds given to the vault)

"In 2010 a delegation of seven U.S. congressmen handed over a number of different varieties of chili pepper."

Wonder what type they were.

I have heard they will grow (seeds freeze in nature all the time and still germinate in spring) never done it myself but it would make sense that they will be fine. Once thawed though you wouldn't want to refreeze them I wouldn't think

Yes they will germinate, I believe the member here geeme or something purposefully used frozen seeds to prove it could be done

"You CAN plant the seeds, will they grow is a different question.

If the seeds had high water content while you froze them- they may be dead.
Putting seeds that are moist into a freezer will kill them because the cells within the seeds rupture.

Before seeds are stored below freezing they are normally dried."

If I wanted to save seed for next year, I would definitely dry them first.  See if geeme used seeds from frozen pods or dried and then frozen seeds.

I think that if they are not dried, you will have a lower germination rate, but some will probably germ. 

very informative, i know . . .

As has been stated already -- It depends ! -- you have to remember that water expands when frozen so fresh seeds that contain water will most likely get damaged when frozen - That said in nature pods fall off of plants onto the ground and get frozen every winter and plants grow fine the following year. IT will most likely cause some seeds to be damaged thus you'll have lower germination rates but shouldn't kill all of them so if that is the only choice you do what you have to do !

I have had some luck with frozen seeds but you will not necessarily have a 90% germination rate. My bhut's this year came from frozen seeds

Don't need to deseed them all.
Unless you are planning acreage for next grow.

Vast majority of peppers don't freeze in nature, so, germination rates will be lower.

Wet seed will tend to crack when frozen.

Easy and quick to dry out a few pods worth.

Cut in 1/2
Spoon the guts into a marked envelope for type
stick on a window sill for a week or till dry.
Store in a cool dry place.

I personally don't have the space to try sprouting loads of questionable seeds, so high germination rates are important.

This may not be so for you.

Mold is not good.
It may come back and infect your sprouts.

For all the naysayers out there....

I threw a bunch of whole, fresh pods into my freezer a couple years ago. Someone told me they wouldn't sprout, and I took it as a challenge, because it doesn't make sense - seeds freeze outside all the time, so why wouldn't they be fine after being in a man-made freezer? So I pulled some pods out, de-seeded them, put the seeds on some damp coffee filters in plastic tubs, and waited. Yeah, don't you go thinking I'm only talking about one or two - I had 36 plants from the frozen seeds that year, some of which I still keep as overwinters today. In fact, I got 100% germination from those seeds. 

So can it be done? YES. The one thing I would do differently today is give the seeds a bit of a bath in a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water before germinating them, to ensure no hidden nasties (mold, fungus, etc.) appear later. Just a precautionary step. 
PS - Those seeds had been in their pods in the freezer for at least 6 months, so were truly frozen.

Back