• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Will heat transfer from plant to plant?

I'm pretty new to growing peppers so if this is a stupid question to ask, forgive me. So I just bought 15 different varieties of pepper seeds from ebay, combos of mild, hot, and super hot seeds, but now I have this question... I remember my grandpa used to tell me that if you plant bell peppers next to jalapeno's or any hot pepper, the bell peppers would be hot too. Is this true? I have a tiny garden so all the peppers I plant will be relatively close to each other so would the heat from lets say a habanero transfer to a banana pepper or a bell pepper and make them hotter? 

If this is true, how can I prevent it? Should the plants be further away from each other? Should I spread them around the yard? Is it better for them to be in pots so that I can move them around instead of having them stuck in the ground? Hopefully these questions are too outrageous haha. Really do appreciate all the help y'all been giving me. Thanks!

If your just allowing open pollination,you won't know what you have until you plant them. But with that said I'm a big believer on stress creates heat. Most my plants have struggled with all kinds of issues this year.  I'm not going to get any bumper crops this time around, but I am getting several hotties. Even most my Aji's have a bite this year. 

backyardpepper said:
Does that mean any seeds I get from the plants I will not be able to plant because they would produce hotter peppers?

There's always a chance of cross pollination. The chances go up the closer your plants are to each other. But I think that chance is still pretty slim. Definitely not enough to keep most folks around here from saving seed and expecting plants to grow true.

backyardpepper said:
Does that mean any seeds I get from the plants I will not be able to plant because they would produce hotter peppers?
If you want to avoid hybrids, isolate a few flowers on the plant. There are different methods to do this, but the idea is to prevent insects from cross pollinating the flower. Pepper flowers can self pollinate, so the seed will be pure as long as an insect doesn't bring in pollen from another pepper. I use small, fine mesh baggies to isolate the flower buds before they open. I have heard of people using gelatin capsules to cover the bud or even gluing the flower shut until it selfs. You could even cover the entire plant with fine mesh, like mosquito netting, if you like. The key is to deny insects access to the flower. Just make sure that you mark the buds that you isolate, so that you know which pods have isolated seed and which were open pollinated.

backyardpepper said:
I'm pretty new to growing peppers so if this is a stupid question to ask, forgive me. So I just bought 15 different varieties of pepper seeds from ebay, combos of mild, hot, and super hot seeds, but now I have this question... I remember my grandpa used to tell me that if you plant bell peppers next to jalapeno's or any hot pepper, the bell peppers would be hot too. Is this true? I have a tiny garden so all the peppers I plant will be relatively close to each other so would the heat from lets say a habanero transfer to a banana pepper or a bell pepper and make them hotter? 
If this is true, how can I prevent it? Should the plants be further away from each other? Should I spread them around the yard? Is it better for them to be in pots so that I can move them around instead of having them stuck in the ground? Hopefully these questions are too outrageous haha. Really do appreciate all the help y'all been giving me. Thanks!
No such thing as a stupid question my friend!! :) And no better place for the best answers!

It looks like you have your answer, but just for fun... 

Here's a stoopid answer: :)

If you plant a Peony next to an apple tree, you will NOT get prettier apples or edible flowers. :rofl:

BlackFatalii said:
If you want to avoid hybrids, isolate a few flowers on the plant. There are different methods to do this, but the idea is to prevent insects from cross pollinating the flower. Pepper flowers can self pollinate, so the seed will be pure as long as an insect doesn't bring in pollen from another pepper. I use small, fine mesh baggies to isolate the flower buds before they open. I have heard of people using gelatin capsules to cover the bud or even gluing the flower shut until it selfs. You could even cover the entire plant with fine mesh, like mosquito netting, if you like. The key is to deny insects access to the flower. Just make sure that you mark the buds that you isolate, so that you know which pods have isolated seed and which were open pollinated.
Where do you get your small mesh baggies? I'm looking for some at a good price

Back