• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Will I kill my plant if i spray it with this stuff?

I've got some of this stuff and am wondering if I can spray a plant with it to get rid of the aphids once and for all. Plant is indoor right now. The aphids laugh at everthing else i use...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/MosquitoPestControl/InsectControl/PRD~0593744P/Ortho%252BHome%252BDefense%252BMax.jsp?locale=en

Says the active ingredient is 0.25% Permethrin

I used that exact same thing last year on all my roses and flowers and it worked great! But I aint sure I would spray a plant you are gonna eat fruit from,I dont know how you would find out unless you do it!!

I'm pretty sure you will murder anything that is alive if you spray with that. If I am reading it right, this product isnt for plants. You're suppose to spray it in the house not directly on anything living.

Quick, cheap and easy way to kill those f8ckers is dish soap and water. the soap attaches to their bodies and sufficates them .. they also have all natural fruit plant spray that works pretty good. You can get it at your local home and garden store, or nursery. The people in the section can help you but make sure you read labels. Dont wana kill what youve worked hard to grow!

xo nicole

Well I hate my wifes roses and flowers"cause I have to care for em" and I sprayed down around the house and all roses and flowers and not one thing died! Dang it! But still I'm not sure about eating it!

I've tried all kinds of insecticidal soaps and while they do go away...but it seems eventually they come back. Mind you the longest I've sprayed is twice a week for a couple weeks (so four times). When I stop,they will eventually be back. Its making me nuts.

I'm pretty sure you will murder anything that is alive if you spray with that. If I am reading it right, this product isnt for plants. You're suppose to spray it in the house not directly on anything living.

Quick, cheap and easy way to kill those f8ckers is dish soap and water. the soap attaches to their bodies and sufficates them .. they also have all natural fruit plant spray that works pretty good. You can get it at your local home and garden store, or nursery. The people in the section can help you but make sure you read labels. Dont wana kill what youve worked hard to grow!

xo nicole

I'm hoping to spray once or twice and then when everything that looks like a bug is dead, rinse the plant and hopefully a few months down the road any remnant of the poison should be gone and the pods will be edible. Well thats the plan anyway...

I used that exact same thing last year on all my roses and flowers and it worked great! But I aint sure I would spray a plant you are gonna eat fruit from,I dont know how you would find out unless you do it!!

I've tried all kinds of insecticidal soaps and while they do go away...but it seems eventually they come back. Mind you the longest I've sprayed is twice a week for a couple weeks (so four times). When I stop,they will eventually be back. Its making me nuts.

Yeah.. you gotta just keep doing it. It sucks but its the strongest thing you can spray without killing it or making it toxic .. sorry :(

I had to deal with that last year and I swore off growing my own seedlings... but that was a year ago and I am really bad at learning from my mistakes haha so I am growing again.. but its just a battle you have to deal with until you can put em outside. Its my understanding that the bugs that eat aphids live outside, and once its time for them to go outside you wont have the problem anymore... so you just gotta fight until its warm!

I don't know if you are talking indoor plants or not, but my plants are all out door and I never have a bug issue because every day they get a spray down with the hose, and more if they actually need watered. I have been told by oldtimers that it helps with most plants by washing eggs off the plant before they can hatch. Don't know how true it is, but I stick with it.

I rented a table in a Government green house for the winter, good idea at the time. Went last Sunday and plants were almost unrecognizable due to the aphid infestation. Sprayed the crap out of them with some spray and will go back this weekend to see what happened. Likely everything is dead as I blasted them hard and then read the instructions.
This greenhouse is basically an aphid breeding ground. Gets discouraging

The features list from the product listing give us a hint as to what it will do to your plant:

Remains effective for three weeks after application

I sprayed a little personal Mosquito repellent on a side shoot of one of my Jamaican Yellow plants. The next day the side shoot was dead - burnt to a crisp.

My large Rocoto plant is infested with aphids. The plan of attack is to spray the entire plant with Malathion and take no prisoners.

I use Provado Ultimate Bug Killer it works really well for about 6 weeks, although I think I read somewhere you shouldn't use it more than twice if the plant is edible.

I prefer lady bugs, just go to the local grow shop and buy a small pack of them. Mist them with some water and soda mixed together and it makes it so they can't fly away into the fans or grow lights. Well that works for about a week... then they fly. I also like using neem oil on the leaves.

Back