• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Will they grow?

Question for those who know :-)

I live in New Hampshire and was hoping to grow a Scorpion during the winter. Will this work in a window? I have a guy who has plants, but maybe I should wait until spring?

Thanks,
Frank

Sure it will grow, but will probably be a little leggy due to the lower light levels. Put it in a south facing window, remember to rotate the plant daily and you can top it in the spring to help the plant bush out.

If the house is relatively warm and the windows aren't drafty like mine. It probably won't be the most attractive plant but it'll grow.

And you may not have a lot of pods. Just another reason why I dont fool with the winter stuff. Way too much trouble. I just take a few months off, then start again! I get me a little break in there.

Personally I wouldn't expect any pods for that. The light levels would probably be too low. Also, if flowers did form, gotta pollinate them by hand.

I was reading a nursery site the other day, and it suggested gently shaking the plants to make them self-pollenate, rather than using a soft brush or q-tip. Anyone given that a try with or without success?

Also, in thinking about what to do with my plants (not just the peppers), I am considering getting some lights in addition to putting them in the window. Our winters are so gloomy here!

Plant 'em, I start seeds at various times throughout the year, currently I have some gunter sannam and dundicut that are about 4" in height. I have super chili and scotch bonnets that are 1" high under a grow light and just sprouted 2 hot lemon and waiting on bishop crown and caribbean red hots.

In my winter days, sun rises around 9am and sets by 4pm and I was eating peppers almost all winter, all annuums though, my chinense remained green but didn't flower until spring. I both qtip'ed them and shook them for pollination techniques.

I was reading a nursery site the other day, and it suggested gently shaking the plants to make them self-pollenate, rather than using a soft brush or q-tip. Anyone given that a try with or without success?

Also, in thinking about what to do with my plants (not just the peppers), I am considering getting some lights in addition to putting them in the window. Our winters are so gloomy here!

Shaking them does work. Using a Q-tip has advtanges of focusing on each flower versus hitting them in one stride. Could also use a fan as it will also keep moving air when you water them (which you will do MUCH less)

And I agree on the lights. Winter here doesn't give nearly enough light, especially if the window isn't getting full sun through the whole short-lived day.

Can you use a constant source of light? (artificial)

They would grow but slowly. Look for a lot of leaves fall and bugs.

NJA

"suggested gently shaking the plants to make them self-pollenate"

Shaking them does work. Using a Q-tip has advtanges of focusing on each flower versus hitting them in one stride.

I shake mine every day...and I AM talking about the pepper plants with flowers on them... :rofl:

If the flowers are producing viable pollen, shaking them or simply thumping the stems works flawlessly...

I shake mine every day...and I AM talking about the pepper plants with flowers on them... :rofl:

If the flowers are producing viable pollen, shaking them or simply thumping the stems works flawlessly...
You are too funny!

So another newb question here - how do you know if the pollen is viable or not - as in before you notice lots of flowers but no pods? And is this an age-of-the-plant thing? You know, we have our peaks, maybe plants do, too....

Pepper plants can be grown indoors, but don't expect them to begin producing until late next spring, and when you get them outside. Use fertilizer sparingly, water only when the top of soil is COMPLETELY dry. Put them in the brightest, sunniest window you have. They may get leggy (long branches between leaves) and will grow slow. Give them exercise by turning the pots 180° every other day at minimum. You can use artificial light, but thats a kinda expensive thing to do just to grow peppers, IMHO.

Here is my current indoor/overwinter experiment. I have a couple 7 Pot Brain Strain[sup]TM[/sup] plants (C. Chinense) I started indoors in July from seeds I received from Cappy. I have been lucky, the internode distance between leaves is a inch or less on both plants, and the leaves are huge, some 6 inches long! They are currently about 12 inches tall. Next spring I hope to introduce them the the great outdoors, and get a few early pods come 4th of July.

100_1330.jpg

100_1328.jpg

Back