• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Will this light work?

This is an old sign. It uses 5 30W 3' bulbs. It's 36"x36" and would fit what I need under it.

Photo01211425.jpg

Photo01211424.jpg

so what are the bulbs colour temperature, (K value - 2700K, 3100K, 4100K, 6500K etc), they look like the fatter T12's. locally i could find 36" grow lights but i couldn't find the 36" housing, so i went with 48" and they take T8 as T12 are no longer being made. if they are T12's you may wish to investigate purchasing some spares bulbs. i bought a box of 12 last year as i have 4 fluorescent fixtures on my basement ceiling and it would be a real pain in the backside to have to replace them. the new bulbs won't work with the older T12 ballasts.

good luck.

From info I could find they are 4100K. The ballasts will handle 40W bulbs too. Would it be better to get 40W bulbs instead?

wattage has very little to do with it. in the morning, plants eat up 2700K, and then pass through the spectrum, finally around noonish, the sun is delivering in the 6500K range.
the 4100K zone is fine but for ultimate lighting you may wish at looking at a couple of "daylight" bulbs.

good luck, hope it works out for you.

Back