• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Will this work for a spring grow chamber?

I used a closet to grow my plants in last year and it worked great.

However, this year I want to keep everything in my garage. This way I don't have to worry about spills and messes. My garage is unheated. I live in NC where the average low will be above freezing for the time I would need to have them in the garage. I will have them in there from the end of February until the beginning of May.

So I was thinking of building a wooden frame to hang my lights from. And then cover the frame with plastic to keep it warm enough. I did check the temperature in the garage last winter in anticipation of using the garage and it was usally in the low 40's.

If I did this, is there anything I should consider when I build my frame?

I will be making the frame 4x2x2 feet in size.

I don't have any experience with a grow box but I would say insulate it well. If you modify your plans a bit and go off 16 inch centers you can buy the pre-cut strips to fit. Then top that with insulated sheathing that they use on the outside of the house and you should be set. I think the only concern would be when the lights are off. You might be able to get around this by running your lights at night when it is coldest and having them shut off during the warmest hours of the day. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I don't have much experience with grow chambers. Good luck.

I start my seeds in my garage as well. I have them set on a shelving unit against the wall to my house with timers for the lights. Even in the coldest part of winter when it was in the low teens at night, it only got down to 43 where the plants are. The plants were able to handle that pretty well.

As far as your set up, 1 thing to consider is air flow. Without any air movement in there you will increase the odds of damping off. It is less of a risk on older seedlings compared to newly sprouted seedlings.

jacob

I would be concerned about getting seeds to germinate unless you plan on using some kind of a heat mat, especially superhots.

Mike

Thanks for the info so far. As for seed starting, I will still be doing that inside. After they sprout I will move them to the garage.

Back