• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Will this work?

Hey everybody! I was thinking about using a cup with some soil and a little pepper plant with around six true leaves, and put it in a square glad recipient with some water in it, and put a water pump, from a fish tank to bubble some oxigen, almost like an aeroponics, but Im using the cup with soil in it, do you think that will work??? Thank you, just an idea that popt on my mind, but have no idea if it will work. Thank you !

in aeroponics, the bubbles do not supply oxygen into the water, as i have learned. just like in a fish tank with bubbles, oxygen is not put into the water. all that is happening is air(nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide and trace gases) are merely taken from the pump and pushed through an air stone. the air is simply passed through the water. nothing is transfused into the water.

i am not sure what you are trying to accomplish but if you could elaborate more perhaps i could assist a little further.

it is a big myth that an airstone injects super oxygen into the water, it just doesn't work that way. one way of infusing oxygen into water is through the waterfall method, where water falls from a distance and breaks the surface of stilled watered over a specific surface level.

i run 2 aeroponic stations and originally thought it was the bubbles that delivered super oxygenated water to the roots, even though the systems work, it works for all the wrong reasoning on my part. nutrient rich water, gets circulated around roots and that is where it stops. in younger plants that haven't developed their rooting system, the plants grow just as slowly as soil plants until the rooting system gets established and find their way into the nutrient mix.

while its true that air stones usually do not max out dissolved oxygen, they help by breaking the surface of the water and generate some DO, i understand powerheads work alot better in this respect. in aeroponics the surrounding air air provides oxygen to the roots, i think you guys mean hydroponics?

So if was to stick a bubble stone in a watering can full of water and leave it going for a while -short time or long time- then I took the stone out and watered plants in soil pots.... it wouldn't be different to just straight watering?

I always thought that the bubbles dissolve oxygen into the water, thats how they keep fish alive etc.

If I understand correctly, you're saying the only beneficial effect of the bubbles is to mechanically aid roots, and not chemically?

I have done the method above, only because I thought it actually enriched the water and enabled the roots to uptake nutrients better.

DO is increased by diffusion if by nothing else by air stones. I'm sure higher energy systems work better, but air stones work.
How do you think DO increases in small streams?

I also tought that the air that flows true the water, from an air pump, provided oxigen, like when having a fish tank, fish could not survive with out the air flowing true the water, The reason I was trying that method is so that the roots wont rot, supplying some air flow in the water. Very interesting replys, thank you.

So if was to stick a bubble stone in a watering can full of water and leave it going for a while -short time or long time- then I took the stone out and watered plants in soil pots.... it wouldn't be different to just straight watering?

exactly, i had thought the exact same things, ignorance without validatiion! putting an airstone in water does not supply extra oxygen into the water. i was taught this and thought it to be true, until i started my own aeroponic stations. i even posed the question here on the forum about it. then one night as i was sleeping, acutally in a daze i got to thinking about basic grade 10 science, how to infuse oxygen into water. looking for answers, i posed the question to one our members(he knows who he is, educated in science.) things just weren't making sense to me,he agreed, the basic science of putting an airstone in water, pumping air into the water was impossible to infuse extra oxygen into water.

in an aeroponic station all that is happening is the airstone is moving the nutrient solution around. your aeroponic centre has to have cells that have some sort of medium to allow the nutrient solution to be pushed onto the medium. that's it. so no super oxygenated water. it doesn't work that way. the best way to get more oxygen into water is via a waterfall technique and who knows how exact that science is. now, i turn my bubbler off at night since no oxygen is being provided and turn it on during the day only to push the nutrient solution to the roots.

what you are experiencing is current flow so that the nutrient doesn't settle out and hang onto your plants roots and suffocate the plant.

I think the roots would find their way out of the cup in a hurry if it did work. Then they should be kept in the dark.

Dissolving oxygen in water can be represented mathematically using henry's law. A gas will dissolve into a liquid only until it reaches its maximum allowable concentration of oxygen in the water. This is the equilibrium concentration of that the water can take. Bubbling oxygen into water will do nothing if the water is saturated with oxygen. You can not "super-saturate" the water. Normal water sitting in a cup undisturbed will reach its equilibrium concentration eventually. Water that comes out of your tap is already saturated with oxygen.

Dissolving oxygen in water can be represented mathematically using henry's law. A gas will dissolve into a liquid only until it reaches its maximum allowable concentration of oxygen in the water. This is the equilibrium concentration of that the water can take. Bubbling oxygen into water will do nothing if the water is saturated with oxygen. You can not "super-saturate" the water. Normal water sitting in a cup undisturbed will reach its equilibrium concentration eventually. Water that comes out of your tap is already saturated with oxygen.
So thats why some people cut some flowers and then put them in water, just changing the water occasionally, and roots start to grow from the cuttings. Nice! Thank s

There does need to be clear distinction of the terms hydroponics vs aeroponics etc..

So the method I described with the bubble stone in the watering can is pointless because the water is already saturated after its trip through the tap and pipes. I could just fill it up from a height and that's enough.

What Burning Colon and TheLonelyHab are saying sounds right enough to me. But what happens in a fish tank.

Because the fish gills are removing oxygen from water constantly it would become stagnant or under-saturated? (the opposite of super-saturated?) In that case the bubble stone would need to replace it then. Correct me if I'm wrong, just guessing.

I guess plant roots that are constantly immersed in the reservoir (deep water culture) act the same as fish gills and remove oxygen? So the bubble stone is required.

And in aeroponics the act of the fine spraying ensures only fully oxygenated water is in conact with the roots, and stagnant water is never able to touch the plants?

Seems to me this isn't rocket science. Certainly if water is already saturated with Oxygen, then it wont work to bubble air through it in hopes it will absorb more oxygen. But, with the fish tank scenario, yes, the bubble stone does aid in "replacing" oxygen that has either leached out of the water some way or has been filtered out by the fish or other organisms in the tank. When you buy a fish at a pet store, they normally give you the fish in a clear bag filled half full with water. then they "squirt" some "air" into the bag to expand it further. The "air" is usually pure oxygen which over time gets absorbed by the water as the fish in the bag uses it. Without that extra oxygen, the fish would soon use up the little oxygen naturally found in the water and die.

The bubble stone simply causes oxygenated air to pass through the water which makes it easier for the water to absorb the oxygen in the air bubbles by causing more water to contact more air. It is essentially forcing more air to come in contact with water that is partially depleted of oxygen which the water than absorbs. When you want sugar to dissolve is your coffee, what do you do? You stir it so that it can be more readily absorbed just like air moving through water the sugar is forced to move through the coffee. Once the coffee is saturated with sugar, no more sugar will absorb and it will simply fall to the bottom of the cup. Water can only hold so much oxygen, but until it reaches its saturation point, it can absorb more and the bubbler and mist sprayer simply aid in that process.

thats bang on from what i understand. i think that pumping air is only necessary in situations where oxygen is being removed by biological processes or w/e. the anerobic digesters you see at sewage treatment plants is an example of this. ive seen package plants that use like 10 HP of blowers to aerate.

I used to use a air pump as a drip hydro grow as if you have a upside down T in water with the left side pumping air in and a short right side under water it will drip water and air out the middle. Put that in an ice cream bucket cut a pot hole for a plant pot wire the air tubes so there in the right places and stay put Hydro growing stuff in the water, and you've got Hydro that works. Not cheap but works, the more I did the more I learned was cheaper to set up a PVC tube and water pump.

There are many things that cause oxygen to diffuse out of water other than organic activity and temperature is one, time is another and pressure is another.

If you oxygenate your plant water you are assured that it has the maximum amount of DO.

Back