• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wilting is sproutlings

I've just started growing for the second time, hopefully ill be successful this year. I started my seeds indoors and apart from a little bit of leggy growth and low germination (50%) they were fine.. I started hardening them off last week.. First 4 hours, then 6, then 10, then overnight.. They've been overnight for 3 days now and I've noticed quite a bit of wilting. What's the cause and how can I fix it?

The tray with loads the three practically dead sprouts are fatalii, the other is chocolate habenaro.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb148/diebodie/Plants/

Title is horribly worded, I apologize.. never smoke before posting eh?

Looks like it is working now. First thing I notice that they are EXTREMELY leggy. They seem to be starving for light. The ones that collapsed could be due to damping off. That usually happens when the soil is too moist. If not damping off, they could be shocked. What were the nighttime temperatures like when you left them out overnight? Very young seedlings (such as yours) won't like temps much below 50 F.

About 13*C or 55*F.. Any chance of recovery? Thought of tying them to a stick like growers do when the plant gets too heavy but I'm thinking won't help strengthen the main stem.. It's been overcast for two weeks, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

If the temps at night were 55F then I doubt it's shock. I'm leaning more towards damping off. You can take one of them out of its cell and examine the roots. If they are white then it's probably not damping off. However, if they are brown or black then it is indeed damping off and you probably don't have much chance for recovery. If it is damping off, you should take action to ensure the seedlings that are still standing don't get affected. Make sure your soil isn't too moist.

To fix the legginess, you can pull the rest of them out and pot them up into a slightly larger container. You can bury the stem up to the cotyledons and it will sprout more roots so it will be much more stable.

I'm fairly new, so keep that in mind, but I would suggest getting a slightly bigger pot or cup and pot them deeper to keep them more compact and hopefully get stocky. Then I would find the brightest possible place to put them. To me, it looks like they are growing and twisting like mad to try to find the sun.

If it's really overcast and looking to be that way for a while, maybe get a cheap (but as bright as you can get) grow lamp to throw them under...

Edit: Shoulda read the post that popped up when i was posting... LOL... yea... what he said ^... :)

I would try transplanting them to large containers like previously stated and bury up to leaves on some. Good luck with those.

Thanks mate, ill try burying 'em a little deeper. Looked at the roots and they were more/less white. I just want them to recover so that I can throw the suckers in the ground where they belong.

Looks like it is working now. First thing I notice that they are EXTREMELY leggy. They seem to be starving for light. The ones that collapsed could be due to damping off. That usually happens when the soil is too moist. If not damping off, they could be shocked. What were the nighttime temperatures like when you left them out overnight? Very young seedlings (such as yours) won't like temps much below 50 F.

Damping off for sure. Lost a few seedlings myself over the last few days to it. Heat + overwatering = boom.

Thinking it's a possibility despite the white roots as they haven't yet shown signs of recovery.. they're in a big pot now, up the their necks so to speak in soil.. I had them in a jiffy greenhouse type thing to get them sprouting and I left 'em a little too long trying to get better than 50% germination.. I guess instead of 10 plants I can expect 0.. Well see...

Back