• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wind burn

Hey every one yet another problem , put my babies out to get alittle spring sunshine before I went to work ,
Came home and the wind had shifted nor westa and in Perth that's pretty savage. Any how sum have uprooted which is fixable but a lot of the leaves have gone black and r smashed is it better to remove the leaves or just leave them to fall off , no pics as its dark now and I've spent the whole Time moving them under cover , they looked gr8 in the morning and 8hrs later they look like popuri!

Sounds like you haven't fully hardened them off yet, amongst other things. Do a search in the grow threads for "hardening off" to read more about that process. But a quick synopsis - hardening off is the process of gradually exposing new, young plants which were started indoors to outdoor elements. These include sunlight and wind, amongst other things, but those are predominant. Slapping them outside too soon in full sun for a full day will damage and even kill them. Exposing them to too much or too strong winds too soon can have the same effect. It's hard when you're working and no one else is home to help, but those are my circumstances and it can be done. Generally this is accomplished by moving them to different places outside that go from more sheltered to less sheltered over time.

I had a number of plants damaged by wind last year. I grow in pots, so this year was more careful to watch the weather, and moved the plants (24 of them this year, down from 48) into the garage when winds or storms were expected. No damaged plants this year.

Reactions: nee
Yeah have been doing the whole harden up but where I live the weather is unpredictable , it like living I a cyclone lol it my first season so still learning my back yard , also I've got around 70 plants so moving them is a pain in the butt, I know they will bounce back but will removing damaged leaves help the process

Lol if only my boss understood it getting windy I have to move my chillis :)

Shriveled black leaves happening that quickly is normally a sign of frost or freeze damage. You can and should remove the leaves if they turn to goo, so the bacteria is removed, but if they stay dry they will fall off on their own but once fallen you should remove them from the soil surface.

I have just had all my overwintered plants here in Queensland (gold coast) smashed to bits by the wind and the shreds of leaves left look majorly wind burnt. So no amount of hardening off is going to stop wind damage. If the leaf is in tact leave it on. If its shredded take it off

I agree - hardening off will not stop wind damage when the winds are strong. That's why I move my plants whenever a wind or thunder storm is predicted. It's the blackened leaves that make me think more is going on then "simple" wind damage from a single day's storm.

30 to 40 kpmh gusts today woz rnd 120 last week Perth is the second windiest city in the world just waiting for no wind and 35 degree summer nights

If I get time today I'm gunna do a glog keep putting it off and it's to hard to do on iPhone but stay tuned , it sucks u can only put 5 pics up but u chec out my photo bucket

Shriveled black leaves happening that quickly is normally a sign of frost or freeze damage. You can and should remove the leaves if they turn to goo, so the bacteria is removed, but if they stay dry they will fall off on their own but once fallen you should remove them from the soil surface.
. Yep , frost will make the leaves turn black and like kinda mushy , when the temps drop over night it doesnt only happen to chillis its on strwawberrys as well . dont strees ken, soon be warmer weather , i always stick mine in the shed when its going to be cold over night or to windy .

30 to 40 kpmh gusts today woz rnd 120 last week Perth is the second windiest city in the world just waiting for no wind and 35 degree summer nights
Kev by making your shade cloth go right to the ground will stop a fair bit of the wind , you have seen my set up and with the cloth right over them they dont even sway when the wind picks up , but i still stick them in the shed when the temps are gona drop over night just to stop the cold Jack frost from getting to them.

Back