• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Winner for most neglected peppers 2020!

My mom has her small pepper farm but never really payed attention to them and now most look like some variagated varieties but I ensure you they are not. The question I have is what is wrong with them? I thought it would be heavy lack of magnesium and maybe nitrogen and calcium but already fertilized them and still the same. Could it be that they caught the mosaic virus? Also sprayed them with been and other organic pesticide before in order to kill all pests on them and no changes at all.

Attachments

• IMG_20200524_163519.jpg
    IMG_20200524_163519.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 75
Are new leaves still being formed, and if so, how do they look? Fresh and green or mottled and curled? Are they in containers? If so, did you change earth?

I have had issues with spider mites and one habanero plant (~1 year old) got particularly hard hit. Though I took care of the mites, the leaves had been exposed to a viral infection (or viral infections) during the infestation and looked similar (but not identical) to what you show. I usually don't worry too much if new growth looks healthy: plants have the strength and ability to rejuvenate/regenerate, though enjoying its fruits will take more time.

They are in the ground and new leaves are curled up with mostly spots of white and yellow like the bigger leaves. I tried a 10x zoom and didn't find any pests on them after spraying for a few weeks but maybe it's just better to cut them down and grow new peppers. Time to invest in a better magnifying glass and try my luck again.

Back