• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter Greenhouse Growing

Just had to share this. These are the plants I started in late September. I should have pods off of them by the end of Feb. I love my greenhouse!

winter plants 2012 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Pictured above, Morugas, Primos, Peach Bhuts, ButchTxDouglah, Barrakpore, 7 Pot Brown

My next batch just put on their first set of true leaves - Brain Strain Red and Yellow, TS Scorp yellow, Jonah, Chaguana #2, Savannah Long, 7 Pot Burgundy, Fatalii Red and Yellow

looks good .. definately will folllow this glog.... wohoooO another person with fatalii... those are always in good demand.. =D

Did you germinate them in the greenhouse? My wife is talking about kicking me out of the master bathroom for the coming season, and I'm wondering how easy it will be to do germination in a greenhouse with the temperature variations. (We don't get nearly as cold as STL, obviously, but we have a long thermometer, and the lows are pretty chilly by germination standards.)

-NT

looks good .. definately will folllow this glog.... wohoooO another person with fatalii... those are always in good demand.. =D

I don't know that this will turn into a Glog as I am way too busy to ever keep anything updated!

Did you germinate them in the greenhouse? My wife is talking about kicking me out of the master bathroom for the coming season, and I'm wondering how easy it will be to do germination in a greenhouse with the temperature variations. (We don't get nearly as cold as STL, obviously, but we have a long thermometer, and the lows are pretty chilly by germination standards.)

-NT

I did germinate both of these sets in the greenhouse. It actually stays pretty consistent in there most of the time with the aid of a gas heater and thermostat controlled exhaust. 60-65 at night, 80-85 during the day. It probably takes about 5-7 days longer when they are germinated in the greenhouse. I won't be germinating seeds for next season's big grow in there, my grow room is much easier to control temps and there will be a LOT of seeds to germ.

no fair. you need to post a pic of the greenhouse too.

Ask and you shall receive. This is a picture of it from when it was first built so it is about 90% complete here, but you get the idea.

Picture by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

No roof vents, but there is an 12" exhaust fan on the back near the peak. When the temp hits 85 the front vent is pulled open and the exhaust fan kicks on. It moves a surprising amount of air and generally doesn't have to run for long to drop the temps back down.

Healthy looking plants and a sturdy built greenhouse. Are those pots of peppers to the left of the GH?

Wow I would kill for a green house like that, just kidding. nice looking plants, I have to wait till late Jan. to early Feb. to start my super hots all others get started in March. I plan to do some mutations this time around with my regular grow along with pushing some plants to and over the edge by stressing some.

Well I didn't have to kill for it, but I did have to sell a beautiful Italian motorcycle in order to buy the greenhouse. I can honestly say that I get more enjoyment out of the greenhouse, so it was the right move.

I don't know that this will turn into a Glog as I am way too busy to ever keep anything updated!

I did germinate both of these sets in the greenhouse. It actually stays pretty consistent in there most of the time with the aid of a gas heater and thermostat controlled exhaust. 60-65 at night, 80-85 during the day. It probably takes about 5-7 days longer when they are germinated in the greenhouse. I won't be germinating seeds for next season's big grow in there, my grow room is much easier to control temps and there will be a LOT of seeds to germ.

Ask and you shall receive. This is a picture of it from when it was first built so it is about 90% complete here, but you get the idea.

Picture by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Hey Ghost,
If you don't mind me asking. How much and where did you get the Greenhouse?

Thanks!

The greenhouse came from Farmtek. I think the retail price was about $6000 for the kit. By the time you add in the plumbing, wiring, gas line, trenching, leveling, and accesories you are probably looking at about $10,000. I did 90% of the work myself. It took about 200 man hours to put it up plus whatever other time I spent tinkering over the last year.

If you are really contemplating doing it, let me know. I have a whole list of lessoned learned that I would be willing to share. The biggest one is; go as big as you can. Most models can be extended later but it is a huge PITA. In hindsight I could have doubled my overall square footage for about $1500 more if I had just bought the bigger model initially.

The greenhouse came from Farmtek. I think the retail price was about $6000 for the kit. By the time you add in the plumbing, wiring, gas line, trenching, leveling, and accesories you are probably looking at about $10,000. I did 90% of the work myself. It took about 200 man hours to put it up plus whatever other time I spent tinkering over the last year.

If you are really contemplating doing it, let me know. I have a whole list of lessoned learned that I would be willing to share. The biggest one is; go as big as you can. Most models can be extended later but it is a huge PITA. In hindsight I could have doubled my overall square footage for about $1500 more if I had just bought the bigger model initially.

Thanks Ghost, appreciate it. :) But, wow, way out of my range currently. Sweet looking greenhouse though.

Farmtek has one of the coolest catalogs ever, in a "wow, did *you* know this tool existed?" sort of way. It's probably worth ordering something from them just to get on their catalog list. :-) They do have quite a few cheaper, smaller greenhouses that seem to be intended for ad-hoc uses---I've never used them and can't comment on quality, but you can put up something that qualifies as a greenhouse for a lot less than the OP's very nice facility.

I got a kit some years ago from Santa Barbara Greenhouse---it was expensive, nice wood-and-heavy-glass, with bells and whistles, and not all *that* much work to put together (except for the concrete pour for a foundation, which most people wouldn't have to do). The work (time and difficulty) really scales with the size; putting a few four-foot panels together is quick and easy, while putting a bunch of eight-foot panels together is a big pain. Also, running real, code-compliant electricity is a pretty big deal vs. just hooking up an extension cord, and running buried pipes for the water supply is a whole lot harder than using a long garden hose. Some situations allow you to do the easy version, some don't.

tl;dr: Redneck greenhouses are cheaper than nice ones.

-NT

cant go wrong with one of those high tunnle hoop houses w/ rea structural steel members... gotta be a lot less spendy than glass/polycarbonate.

I agree, if I had more room I would have one right now. The USDA will actually PAY you to put one up through a program they started a couple of years ago. You have to foot the bill up front, but once you are done USDA will reimburse you 100% of the cost and pay you for your labor.

Farmtek is an awesome company. Because I belong to the Farmer Veteran Coalition, they give me 25% off everything I order. They really are super nice and I wouldn't be able to do any of this without them.

Back