• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Winter Indoor Growing Adventure

Hello to all TheHotPepper

Today I decided to start a few peppers to find out if they will fruit indoors. Sown today Sweet Banana, Fire Cracker Ornamental, and Sweet Datil and seeds from the crushed red pepper spice bottle. On order Hungarian Hot Wax and Chiltepin. I'm unsure if there will be enough space to grow these peppers to full size but it's just for fun anyways.

Does anyone know why the Datil pepper leaves are wrinkly?
Most likely there's a water transpiration issue, where the leaves are struggling to retain moisture because they aren't getting enough from the roots. The plants respond by folding/rolling/canoeing the leaves like that. Often it's related to the roots. A common situation is when the planting medium stays too wet and the roots become saturated and/or don't develop properly and can even begin to rot. Then the plant can't get enough moisture to the leaves despite plenty in the soil. I suggest looking at the soil and whether it's staying wet or compacting down and losing all of its fluffiness. If so, changing watering habits or even transplanting can be advisable.

Glad to hear that, TMP. I hope it continues
to improve for you.

And thanks to @CaneDog for posting the
why behind the issue!

I got rid of the Datil pepper it just didn't like the conditions unlike all the other peppers.

Update time - some of them were getting quite root bound in the tiny 3" pots so I transplanted everything into 6"ers. Also bought some 3-5 gallon fabric pots to plant them in once they get bigger. However I'm not sure if they all should go in one 20 gallon pot or if each should be separated into smaller ones. Opinions welcome

100_1404.JPG

I tried to pollinate a banana flower but in the process of pulling off the petals with tweezer the whole flower broke off. Next time I'lll try to very carefully cut them off.

Planned crosses

Sweet Banana X Thai and/or Pepperoncini x Thai - Thai is a seedling though
Sweet Banana x Jimmy Nardello
Hot Banana x Jimmy Nardello
Sugar Rush Peach x Banana or Pepperoncini

The peppers are thriving, err well at least they are not dead. I did end up cutting back the sweet banana pepper which shouldn't have been done. Because now I'll need to wait for flowers. Maybe another week.

11111111111111111111111111111111.jpg

100_1537.JPG

I also have sugar rush peach, hot banana, and thai seedling just starting out.

Last edited:
For my first successful time I emasculated a closed flower on the Jimmy Nardello then touched my finder to a Pepperoncini open flower and wiped my finger on the emasculated female flower. It's been a few days with no change so I don't think the pollen fertilized correctly.

Since I've started a few new peppers (hot wax and thai) I don't need the pepperoncini anymore so she got the chop today.

100_1571.JPG
100_1572.JPG

Back