• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter Inside and out growing

This is my first year growing. My plants are in pots and are still producing , so for the 2 or 3 nights it was below freezing this year I brought them into the garage and would bring them back out when I got home from work the next day, they only missed one day of sun. How long can they stay in the garage if we have an extended cold spell. Being in pots, if I can pull off back and forth with the garage and weather there would be no need to cut them back right?

I have left mine in the garage for up to 3 days . They could go longer but I am much further south than you so I have never had to go longer than that. I prefer to leave them out during the day and then bring them in at night. More sun more better :lol:

Jamie

This is my first year growing. My plants are in pots and are still producing , so for the 2 or 3 nights it was below freezing this year I brought them into the garage and would bring them back out when I got home from work the next day, they only missed one day of sun. How long can they stay in the garage if we have an extended cold spell. Being in pots, if I can pull off back and forth with the garage and weather there would be no need to cut them back right?
Sure you can move them about. If in the garage you may want to put them off the floor or perhaps on some newspaper or cardboard. Also the plants need less water in the cooler weather, it doesn't evaporate as fast. If you notice the lower leaves turning yellow, the soil may be retaining too much water. If the plants seem limp and lifeless than they've probably gone through shock from the cold. Established plants can handle temps into the mid 40's before they start regressing. Unripened pods should be picked if any chance of a hard frost is in the forecast.

Hope you make it through the cold spell

Greg

Back